Q's for using & choosing a face mask?

Options
TarryTaffyTwo
TarryTaffyTwo Posts: 448 Member
My mum sent me 6 masks (in the attached pic, front & back)... Medline Procedural Face Mask, Prohibit Series. I don't know which side should be on the outside. She thinks it's blue, but lost the instructions. It's listed on pg 9 of the link below, but I can't tell from the pic if blue is on the outside... it looks to me like it's on the inside. Does anyone know?

Also, I know most masks are out of stock, etc., but still I'd like to look around & perhaps backorder some. Would the masks I have be sufficient for protecting from virus? I don't see that any masks say anything about virus, specfically.

Sorry the q's may be obvious to many, but I've never had to use them before. Thank you kindly.

2tzgtim5pk1l.jpg

https://www.canmedhealthcare.com/parent/Medline_Prohibit_Series_Face_Masks.pdf

Replies

• TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Those masks will protect others from your germs until the mask gets wet (including wet from breathing) but they don’t do a great job of protecting the wearer. Better than nothing though.

ideally you want a mask that has a non-woven liner and that doesn’t gap anywhere, including around the nose and cheeks.

ETA: she has a few pertinent videos. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NnSL3J7J0_E
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    XxFunctionalStrengthxX Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Agreed with @TwitchyMacGee that they're better than nothing. Typically, if there's a metal piece in one side, that goes over the nose so it can form fit by pressing it down and forming around your nose. From the pic, looks like it's on the right side based on the design.

Ideally, an N95 white mask is better as it tends to fit the face better. But, they have limited use and will get wet after a while as well. While they aren't cleared for medical, the ones you buy at hardware stores are basically the same thing. Just done without the medical approval.
  • TarryTaffyTwo
    Options
    Thank you both, so much.

@TwitchyMacGee

* Thank you for the link. Can't believe I didn't think to look up YTube vids.
    * So, the masks I have protect others from me, but offer no protection to me, if I understand everything I've read/seen. So, what's the point of a mask... can't I just put a scarf/bandanna over my mouth/nose, if I have go to a store? People are making their own masks out of cotton, etc., so the material doesn't seem of import. Am I understanding that correctly?

* If the masks are not effective when wet from exhaling, can they be dried at home or hand washed with soap/water or alcohol/water & dried to use again? Since they're not offering me protection, wouldn't any barrier offer protection to another, so they can be used more than a single time, when not used in any kind of medical setting?

@XxFunctionalStrengthxX

* The masks pictured do have that metal piece that goes across the top of the nose. Do I understand you correctly... the blue is on the outside, white inside when worn?

* N95s are probably all out of stock, since there's a national call for people to supply them to medical facilities, so unlikely I could purchase one anytime soon. Is that the only mask that will protect me from virus?

Thank you, again.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    o2ayp2apya4a.png

What you have is basically a surgical mask, but if it has a wire or something that fits over the nose, it will be more effective than a regular surgical mask. Yes, it protects the other person better than it protects you. Because you breathe directly in front of you, so always through the mask. When you breathe in, you may be getting some air from outside the mask where it doesn’t fit tight to your skin. The tighter you’re able to make it fit, the more effective it is in protecting you. They say n95 masks are fine and don’t need to be cleaned if you can wear it only once every 4 or 5 days, letting it dry in between.

ETA, according to the advertising on yours, it is VERY effective. The pictures show the outside is blue.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,180 Member
    Options
    I just bought a mask at the supermarket yesterday. Starting Monday they are required while out in public.

It is complex. Think respirator vs. mask. Both do specific things.

If you have the virus, and don't know it, and while outside you sneeze. It isn't so much that billions of microscopic virii go flying out of you, it is millions of bigger liquid drops fly out. The virus is in and on the drops. With a mask on you, most of the drops will stay hung up on the mask, that's why they eventually get wet. As an asymptomatic person who is wearing a mask and sneezed out in public, you have gone a long way in not spewing the virus out into the public. Masks are perfect for healthy people(just in case) or asymptomatic people with the covid-19. It is a great mitigation technique.

If a medical ward is filled with covid-19 infected people, and you are not infected, a respirator will block 95% of the billions of microscopic viruses in the air.

A mask is great and a respirator is great, one is not better than the other. Their function overlap a bit, and often people speak of them without making any distinction. Be well
  • TarryTaffyTwo
    Options
    @corinasue1143 @chris_in_cal

Amazingly helpful, TY so much. And, cheers for the chart, Corina! I've already shared it with family!

I'd still like to ask... can anyone tell me if my mask is worn with the blue side inside or out?

Thank you, kindly, Everyone!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing these as a face mask.

Although, to be honest, I'm not sure how effective they are in filtering breathable air.

It's a trade-off I'm willing to make.

il_570xN.1691789839_6axr.jpg
  • TarryTaffyTwo
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I've been wearing these as a face mask.

Although, to be honest, I'm not sure how effective they are in filtering breathable air.

It's a trade-off I'm willing to make.

il_570xN.1691789839_6axr.jpg

Lol. I'm asking for myself... & my mum. I'm sending this to her.

You deal with the repercussions.

Godspeed.
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    XxFunctionalStrengthxX Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Thank you both, so much.

@TwitchyMacGee

* So, the masks I have protect others from me, but offer no protection to me, if I understand everything I've read/seen. So, what's the point of a mask... can't I just put a scarf/bandanna over my mouth/nose, if I have go to a store? People are making their own masks out of cotton, etc., so the material doesn't seem of import. Am I understanding that correctly?

* If the masks are not effective when wet from exhaling, can they be dried at home or hand washed with soap/water or alcohol/water & dried to use again? Since they're not offering me protection, wouldn't any barrier offer protection to another, so they can be used more than a single time, when not used in any kind of medical setting?

@XxFunctionalStrengthxX

* The masks pictured do have that metal piece that goes across the top of the nose. Do I understand you correctly... the blue is on the outside, white inside when worn?

* N95s are probably all out of stock, since there's a national call for people to supply them to medical facilities, so unlikely I could purchase one anytime soon. Is that the only mask that will protect me from virus?

Thank you, again.

Correct, blue out. The white is the absorbant material, and the blue is an external coating. When you put it on, the metal wire will lay over your nose, and the bottom of the mask is stretched to under your chin. Press down on the wire to form fit it to your nose. It appears to be a surgical grade mask, and with the added fitting at the nose will help protect you more than others.

Aside from a properly fitted mask that seals to your face, most of the others are meant to help cut down on things. Primarily from anyone sneaking, coughing, etc it won't necessarily escape the mask or will be heavily filtered. But, secondarily, you will have limited filtering on breathing in.

Most of the N95's are in the hands of medical professionals now, and I'm sure stores are empty. Was mentioning them in case you come across a package of them at a store. Ironically, I keep one in my glovebox. Never thought I'd need it for this, always assumed it be for debris or dust or the like. But, I have a couple of cloth masks I can wear.
  • TarryTaffyTwo
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Thank you both, so much.

@TwitchyMacGee

@XxFunctionalStrengthxX

Thank you, again.

Correct, blue out. The white is the absorbant material, and the blue is an external coating. When you put it on, the metal wire will lay over your nose, and the bottom of the mask is stretched to under your chin. Press down on the wire to form fit it to your nose. It appears to be a surgical grade mask, and with the added fitting at the nose will help protect you more than others.

Aside from a properly fitted mask that seals to your face, most of the others are meant to help cut down on things. Primarily from anyone sneaking, coughing, etc it won't necessarily escape the mask or will be heavily filtered. But, secondarily, you will have limited filtering on breathing in.

Most of the N95's are in the hands of medical professionals now, and I'm sure stores are empty. Was mentioning them in case you come across a package of them at a store. Ironically, I keep one in my glovebox. Never thought I'd need it for this, always assumed it be for debris or dust or the like. But, I have a couple of cloth masks I can wear.

Thank you very much for the info!

My mum bought me an N95 mask long ago when I was on the road for months & mentioned going through a few dust storms in the desert (AZ & CA), but didn't have a chance to send it to me. She just gave it to my brother.

Good idea... once I come across one, I'll buy it to keep in the car... another thing mum keeps telling me to do.

Thank you, Everyone for all the above info. It's been very helpful & I really appreciate it!
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,180 Member
    Options
    Last week the public health office of Ontario put out a nice short PDF:
    (2019-nCoV – What We Know So Far About…Wearing Masks in Public)

It is only a couple of pages: https://publichealthontario.ca/-/media/documents/ncov/covid-wwksf/what-we-know-public-masks-apr-7-2020.pdf
  • TarryTaffyTwo
    Options
    Last week the public health office of Ontario put out a nice short PDF:
    (2019-nCoV – What We Know So Far About…Wearing Masks in Public)

It is only a couple of pages: https://publichealthontario.ca/-/media/documents/ncov/covid-wwksf/what-we-know-public-masks-apr-7-2020.pdf

Thank you so much, Chris!