Speed/Cadence Sensor for Spin Bike

Options
Anyone use a speed)cadence sensor on a spin bike? I want to be able to automatically send my fitness watch distance from indoor cycling.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I use a Wahoo RPM cadence sensor that can be attached to the crank arm or to your shoe, has both Bluetooth and ANT+ for connectivity. Found it works very well indoors and outdoors with solid connection and good battery life.

Cadence doesn't equate to speed or distance - it's just the speed of your feet (and a useful metric for cycling training).

It's not a distance tracker but Spinning bikes don't move or do any distance - any speed or distance reported isn't really that meaningful (usually badly exaggerated) and doesn't correspond to speed and distance outdoors.
    I wish I could cruise comfortably at 20mph like my indoor bike tells me..............

Suppose you could fit a magnetic wheel sensor/pickup to your flywheel but again it's not tracking real distance, just rotations of the flywheel. I've used both Garmin and Wahoo speed sensors outdoors with mixed results.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Anyone use a speed)cadence sensor on a spin bike? I want to be able to automatically send my fitness watch distance from indoor cycling.

I know that Garmin makes speed sensors that fit on the hub of your rear wheel that can be used on road (a little redundant if you're using GPS) on an indoor trainer. You may be able to find one of the magnet based speed sensors that you could adapt to the cast wheel that spin bikes use (I think Timex still makes one) but I'm not sure if you'd be able to calibrate the wheel size (speed sensors basically just count the revolutions and estimate speed based on wheel circumference)

Pretty much any crank arm mounted cadence senor would work.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I've used both, pretty straight forward as long as you've got something they can pair/communicate with.