How Can You Convince Your Spouse/Friend/Relative/Child To Get In Shape? 

Options
The Question: Bodybuilding and being healthy is very important to you. You can't imagine why anybody would not want to live this way. Unfortunately, your loved one does not feel the same way. The complain about their looks, they are eating in a way that will cause long term health problems, and they just can't ever seem to make it to the gym.

How can you convince them to REALLY try to get in shape? How can you do this without making them upset, making them feel bad about themselves, or "nagging" them constantly.

Share your success stories if you have done this before!

BONUS QUESTIONS: 1. What made you first start working out? When was it? Have you always cared about being in shape and being healthy? If not, what convinced YOU to start caring about it?

2. Do you have any loved ones that NEED to work out/eat right but don't and may be headed for health problems? How does that make you feel? Have you told them? What was their response?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    MikeT4853 wrote: »
    The Question: Bodybuilding and being healthy is very important to you. You can't imagine why anybody would not want to live this way. Unfortunately, your loved one does not feel the same way. The complain about their looks, they are eating in a way that will cause long term health problems, and they just can't ever seem to make it to the gym.

How can you convince them to REALLY try to get in shape? How can you do this without making them upset, making them feel bad about themselves, or "nagging" them constantly.

BONUS QUESTIONS: 1. What made you first start working out? When was it? Have you always cared about being in shape and being healthy? If not, what convinced YOU to start caring about it?

2. Do you have any loved ones that NEED to work out/eat right but don't and may be headed for health problems? How does that make you feel? Have you told them? What was their response?

Sounds like a homework question :wink:
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you really can't, but you can be a good example, encourage if they show interest, and answer questions. You can also volunteer to do some of the cooking, if you don't already, and cook tasty food in a a lower cal way that is not specifically diet food. My dad has always been interested in physical activity and a healthy weight, but he's thinner now and eats much better now simply because his wife loves to cook and cooks very healthy (but incredibly delicious) meals that made him appreciate plenty of foods I think he didn't so much before (he eats far more veg now, whereas before I think he ate veg mostly out of obligation).

I've done physical activity of a variety of sorts off and on always. I would run for a period of time and then stop. I used to bike a lot and then stopped when I moved to Chicago (many years ago, at age 24) since at first I was afraid to bike on the streets here. I now run and bike as my primary cardio, although I still don't bike all year round.

When I decided to get back into shape I had been inactive, so just decided to get active again. Part of that was because I'd decided to lose weight and knew it would be helpful for that, and part of it was I found losing weight easier to think about as part of a "I will be as healthy as I can" way. One reason I got motivated to lose was a bad photo of myself, and another was having a friend who lost a bunch of weight, which triggered the "oh, it's possible" switch in my brain.

I find having either friends who also do these activities (I got over my biking fear by biking with friends initially) or goals (like wanting to train for a race) to be helpful for me to get into these activities. I also knew my sister did some weight-based workouts, so originally I asked her.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    👍
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    You look pretty youthful in your profile image, and maybe have not been on the receiving end of advice such as you are considering to give a loved one.

Worry about your self, and be willing to share if you are asked. I'm pretty sure you won't find a "good" way to open that subject with anyone, loved or not.

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make them drink.

Working on my disagree button.
  • hawksgirl229
    hawksgirl229 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Kriscandothis.
    So very sorry that you had to go through that