Is there a doctor in the house!?

Options
I've experienced this before, I was told to eat protein before and after my workout to prevent it from happening. Doesn't help.

Here's my issue.

I usually have high blood pressure, a norm would be 134/94 heartrate staying high 80s, low 90s. That is usually after a long day. I can run a little lower than that.

When I workout for an extended period, heart rate up, (an hour of zumba or 5.0 treadmill for an hour)...as soon as I stop exercising, my blood pressure DROPS while my heart rate stays sky high. Last night after zumba, 30 minutes later, my bp was 91/64, heartrate 125. Very faint and weak. It did come up slowly to a "norm" rate while my heartrate was still 101 3 hours later.

Yes...I will go back to the doctor. Yes, just 6 months ago I did a 48 hour heart halter test to verify my heart wasn't the issue.

So, my question is to those that are trainers, doctors, nutritionist, how can I recover more quickly or prevent it from dropping so severe/sudden next time?

Your advice is appreciated.

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a longer cool down period????I feel very faint and dizzy if I jump off my elliptical going 10 miles an hour, I usually need a 5-10 minute cool down going much slower with less resistance, and I slow down gradually. I'm not a doctor, I'm just making a suggestion because this helped me a lot.
  • JennaMarie3
    JennaMarie3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm just a nurse....but is there any way you could be dehydrated? Just a thought.
  • pixieE
    pixieE Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi there :)

Firstly, i am NOT a doctor and i am NOT medicall trained but i do have a friend who has the same problems you have with regards BP and pulse rate after exercise.
    She was advised to drink loads of water straight after exercising to help bring her BP back up while her pulse rate slowly dropped as her body rested.
    It works to some degree with my friend but then everyone is different so it may or may not work for you.

I hope you get it sorted soon, take care of you x

PS i had to edit my spelling mistakes out of the reply lol
  • GuamMom
    GuamMom Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Take your time to come down baby girl ...give yourself the time to know what you did and how to process that! But always ask a prof... and do what is best for you....! You can burn 100 cal.'s per hour just walking ...maybe take it slow!!! Good luck to you on your journey!!
  • WonderNoodle
    WonderNoodle Posts: 549
    Options
    Thanks Ladies for your input!

Hydrating better sure makes sense. I know from two family members' experience of be dehydrated that it DEFINATELY affects your blood pressure. Maybe I need to chug-a-lug the water on the days I'll be doing Zumba and likewise following the workout. I will def try next Tuesday!

I'm hoping that as I increase my fitness (5'5" 225lbs), that it will affect me less.
  • tammyhoff2004
    Options
    My son's athletic sports trainer has told the band students who practice 6-7 hours a day during the heat of summer to drink loads of water during their practice and to eat a protien bar or shake before their practice such as a power bar. Here's the catch....after all of that, the trainer says that there has been proven study that a glass of chocolate milk restores your electrolyte level faster than any sports drink. The trainer's other advice was to avoid the caffiene because of the blood pressure problems it causes. Hope this helps!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So when we exercise our blood vessels usually dialate in order to allow greater blood flow. it can take a few minutes (for elite athletes) to a couple of hours (for the not quite elite :tongue: ) to return to normal. During this time, heart rate may go back to normal, but the volume of blood in the veins is still lower (I.E. lower blood pressure than normal), correct cool down procedures can help with this (as stated above) along with enriching the blood supply to avoid O2 level depletion (deep breathing techniques) but if it causes you discomfort, I would talk to your doctor for it, it could be something that is treatable with medication, or it could just mean you need to adjust your diet pre and post workout.

As a trainer I can usually recognize the symptoms, but I am in no way qualified to treat them,and would always recommend speaking with your doctor before you try anything.