Help needed with the Recipe function

Options
lgfrie
lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
There's got to be something I'm doing wrong, or don't understand ...

So I go to Food -> Recipes -> Enter New Recipe to enter my American Breakfast recipe, which is simple and consists of eggs, butter, couple of Jimmy Dean sausages, etc.

I give it a name, like "American Breakfast", and hit "Add Ingredient". I type "Jimmy Dean fully cooked turkey breakfast sausage". (I want to emphasize here that I am speaking generically about my problem with Recipes and not specifically about this sausage product - I have the same problem with every listing - keep reading).

The very first product of dozens that come up in the search appears to be exactly the right thing, but it doesn't provide calorie (or other nutritional) information. I click on it. Oops. It has 100 calories and is an incorrect entry; the correct number is 130 calories for 2 sausages.

I hit the little red delete button on the sausage line item and ... nothing.

Can't delete it. Can't change it. The only thing I can do is start the entire recipe over from scratch. With very high odds of having the same problem again, maybe with a different ingredient. It won't show me the nutritional information, and it can't be deleted once it's in your recipe.

This has happened to me so many times I basically don't use Recipes, but wish I could.

Is this user error or a known bug?

Replies

• Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I've hated the recipe builder since day 1, because of the same reasons.. it's why I always suggest a different way that I do it

I list all ingredients in my food diary as seperate foods for the recipe I'm making, so if the recipe called for 3 cups flour, I'd log three cups under lunch or something.. then when all those ingredients are listed I can then divide by servings.. so if it makes 12 cookies let's say, I'd divide the whole total by 12, giving me the calories per cookie.

The other macros are easier to see on the website version not the app.. but same method applies.

Then I go to the "foods" tab when i add a new food, select the option to add a new food and put the calories and macros per each cookie into the empty slots. And save, then if i have a cookie i can just select it from the same list as all my other foods and it's already listed as 1 cookie.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I find "Meals" to be much easier to manage. Your breakfast can just be entered into your FOOD page, then "Quick Tools > Remember Meal" name it and be done. Next time you use it you can edit line items in the food diary.

If you do decide to use the Recipe builder, use the "Old Recipe Builder." If you use the old one, you can edit on the recipe page per ingredient. I really only use the Recipes for sauces, casseroles and crockpot stuff, honestly. For every other favorite combo of foods, My Meals is far better.
  • cmriverside
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Here's a thread CyberTone made about "My Foods and My Meals as Recipes" - that may work for you. Too complicated for me...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10471173/how-to-use-my-foods-and-my-meals-in-a-recipe-a-workaround
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    a Disagree for asking a question ... LOL
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I use an iPad, the app, so it may be different. I start like you do, choose 1.enter manually,2. enter ingredients, when the wrong ones come up enter 3. edit ingredients, then 4. search for alternatives. Works fine. It is maddening because it seems to never get even one ingredient right to start with, but I’m learning patience.
    Good luck!

Oh! I may have just realized your problem. You have to use the arrow to go to the next page to lock in the changes. Try it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,652 Member
    Options
    I double concur with @CyberTone 's suggestion if it is the one he made a while back that goes like this:

--records your recipe in an empty diary slot using your regularly vetted entries
    --save the meal with a special name
    --go and create recipe using the old recipe maker. declare portions or weight in grams as you wish. Create the recipe using a single ingredient, your previously named meal.

While I didn't 100% follow what you're doing / not doing, on the web page you can edit the recipe after the fact and replace / edit the ingredients. It is a pain and I often found that I had to save each change because it would otherwise unpredictably crash and burn.

So, say you used the infamous garlic entry in a recipe and everything is out of whack.

Edit. Find Garlic you want. Add it to the recipe. Save. Edit. Delete the garlic you don't want. Save. And keep going the same tedious way!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I had been using CyberTone's work around and then the My Meals function stopped working for me - specifically, it was not saving >.<
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I double concur with @CyberTone 's suggestion if it is the one he made a while back that goes like this:

--records your recipe in an empty diary slot using your regularly vetted entries
    --save the meal with a special name
    --go and create recipe using the old recipe maker. declare portions or weight in grams as you wish. Create the recipe using a single ingredient, your previously named meal.

While I didn't 100% follow what you're doing / not doing, on the web page you can edit the recipe after the fact and replace / edit the ingredients. It is a pain and I often found that I had to save each change because it would otherwise unpredictably crash and burn.

So, say you used the infamous garlic entry in a recipe and everything is out of whack.

Edit. Find Garlic you want. Add it to the recipe. Save. Edit. Delete the garlic you don't want. Save. And keep going the same tedious way!

The recipe builder is working better for me now, so I use that and when I am all done, save it and then go back in and delete the wacky entries.

If anyone is Sales Development is happening to read this, I would never consider paying for Premium until nonsense like this is fixed.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    @kshama2001 - have you tried My Meals recently? It is fixed for me, has been for a while.