myfitnesspal Premium

Options
Thinking about going premium, curious to know from premium members what they liked in particular, and if it actually helped or encouraged you to do better with your fitness program considering you've made a monetary investment as well. Thanks!
Paul

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I pay for it so that I use it. That's how my feeble brain works when it comes to accountability
  • pfprimo
    pfprimo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anything on here that paying for it would be worth it.

It appears to me that the added features cater to those who are particularly into exporting data and analyzing progress through charts and such.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I pay for premium as the number of ads on the free version just stopped the ap working on my phone (poor WiFi at home). I do like all the extra settings for macros as I’m a geek.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Yeah, most of the extras are also for people who are meticulously tracking their diet..

Like.. I dont really care what time I ate lunch, so meal times for me is a pointless feature but may be useful for someone else who may not wanna write it down on paper.

Same with diary entries, you can really get it down to the specifics with macros etc if you pay for it, but none of that really matters to me either, I think most people are okay with the percentages and just shooting for that
  • pfprimo
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    I pay for it so that I use it. That's how my feeble brain works when it comes to accountability

I have friends who have taken that approach, I think it's sensible that if you know you've made a monetary investment then you have that added pressure on yourself to put it to good use.

Paul
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,409 Member
    Options
    I do track meticulously, more or less since 2014. I never had the urge to use premium. The only thing that annoys me is that I once added additional body measurements, and once linked a fitbit. Those headers are still stored in here and I can't delete them.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I have tracked all my food & exercise for 8 1/2 years. I often refer back to older diary entries to see what I was eating during various parts of training cycles for various races (or other things) that have occurred over those 8.5 years.

I have premium purely so I can review older diary entries (the free version is limited to 2 years). I haven’t used (nor do I expect to ever use) any of the other premium features. I will likely export my data and cancel my premium membership before it renews.

I have not found premium to help me do anything that the free version does not (except see old diary entries).
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I used the free version for years and lost most of my weight with the free version. I purchased premium for the ability to change my calorie goal by day. Once it expired, I found going back to having ads was really annoying (though it never bothered me before), and I purchased another year of premium to have ad free access. I log into MFP every day, so that alone is worth it to me.
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I used the free version for years and lost most of my weight with the free version. I purchased premium for the ability to change my calorie goal by day. Once it expired, I found going back to having ads was really annoying (though it never bothered me before), and I purchased another year of premium to have ad free access. I log into MFP every day, so that alone is worth it to me.

Where are the ads people always mention? Do you just mean on the main page/newsfeed?
  • PedmomJill
    Options
    What’s the cost? I did it years ago for $59 a year. Now it looks like they’ve followed the tactic of a stupid monthly subscription. I’m guessing it’s more than $59. 😫😫
  • pfprimo
    Options
    I use MFP on my laptop - no ads that I can see. I hardly ever use the app on my cellphone, which is where I guess the ads are.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    PedmomJill wrote: »

Where are the ads people always mention? Do you just mean on the main page/newsfeed?

Yes, the ads I see are on the main page on my newsfeed. I use the app on my cellphone almost exclusively.

I paid $40.00 for one year and it was a promo at the time to get a month free, so approximately $3.08 per month for 13 months. They may have changed the price since last fall though.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    I remembered incorrectly... I paid $50.00 for 13 months, so approximately $3.85 per month for 13 months.
  • PedmomJill
    Options
    I remembered incorrectly... I paid $50.00 for 13 months, so approximately $3.85 per month for 13 months.

Kinda sucky that when you click on “get premium” it doesn’t show the price. 😡
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I'm premium but I can't figure out any advantage I'm getting from it. There's a conspicuous lack of premium content for the premium membership; I wouldn't bother.