Maintaining weight while exercising a lot.

Options
I'm getting close to moving into maintenance mode with my weight, and I'm used to pre-planning my meals and not eating back my exercise calories. However, I've become a long-distance runner, and it's not uncommon for me to burn an estimated 1000-1500 calories in a single run, and I also do strength training. My question is this: would it work for me to eat the exercise calories from the previous day, rather than trying to eat them on the fly from the current day?

Replies

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    No one can really tell you as everyone is different, if you've been dieting for a long time IMO you should look into "reverse dieting" to revamp your metabolism. (see an opinion ;) )

There are a ton of questions that would need to answer for anyone to give you a accurate answer and not just an opinion.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    But here's an opinion... it sounds like a good idea. On a weekly basis, your intake and output would match up pretty well. Worth a try IMHO.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    But here's an opinion... it sounds like a good idea. On a weekly basis, your intake and output would match up pretty well. Worth a try IMHO.

I agree.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yes I think so! Heavy exercise days deplete my appetite and next day or rest days Im often starving :). I think eat some of the day before uneaten is wise for training person!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm getting close to moving into maintenance mode with my weight, and I'm used to pre-planning my meals and not eating back my exercise calories. However, I've become a long-distance runner, and it's not uncommon for me to burn an estimated 1000-1500 calories in a single run, and I also do strength training. My question is this: would it work for me to eat the exercise calories from the previous day, rather than trying to eat them on the fly from the current day?

as long as you end up even at the end of the week and not in a deficit it doesnt really matter when you eat them
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ive been maintaining for over a year now and Im an endurance Mountain biker. I Daily burn over a 1000cals on week days and my weekend rides are 3000 on training weekends to 8000 on event weekends. I do carb loading leading up to weekends Particularly event weekends where I over eat on carbs thurs and friday to load muscles with glycogen and burn it all on saturday or sunday.

So they answer is upping your calories with carbs on non-running days prior to a long run is fine. Infact it will make your running stronger and you will be able to run longer.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    My question is this: would it work for me to eat the exercise calories from the previous day, rather than trying to eat them on the fly from the current day?
    Absofreakinlutely!

I ran 9 miles last night and I will run again Thursday night. I will evenly spread the calories from last night over today and tomorrow.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I don't have THAT high of caloric burns but I try to eat back most of my exercise cals, but still be at a little deficit. I have been maintaining since around March and my weight has not wavered (not counting the fact that I'm usually 2-3 lbs higher at night versus in the morning, but that's normal). :) I do 2104 net calories, generally eating around 1850-1900. Sometimes I get right up to 2100 and I am still fine. I eat when I'm hungry and try to follow my body's cues, since I drink tons of water and know that if I FEEL hungry, I probably AM.

ETA: I do workout 6 days a week, always, alternating days of strength training with straight cardio days.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I don't worry so much about my calories on any given DAY, but how they are over a WEEK so that sounds good to me.
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am a distance runner also and I tend to use calorie cycling instead of eating over 3500 calories on long run days (I'm a female on 1500 cals per day so that's a large jump for me).

As long as your weekly calories even out you should be fine. Try it and see what works for you.