Resistance bands for strength training

Options
TL;DR what's a good 3 day a week workout with resistance bands for building strength.

I was on Stronglifts 5x5 for about 10 months after starting from scratch and made a bunch of progress until December. My job gets busy in the winter so i fell behind for Dec. Then in Jan I got pretty sick and stopped working out for a month. When I finally got over my illness (and then a month or two of putzing around not getting back to the gym) COVID hits and I can't go to the gym. I bought some resistance bands (the set came with both the tube type and the band type).

I'd like to start strength training again with the bands. I realize the effects will not be the same as actually working with weights in the gym. However, what's the best work out for building strength (so eventually I can go back to stronglifts at the gym)? It seems like most of the exercises seem to be aimed at high reps for toning. Is there a lower rep workout for building muscle back? Looking online I can't find one. I tried modifying SL to bands but I don't think that squats and DLs translate well to bands.

Thanks!

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Here's a 10-move workout from Men's Health or this one (or make up your own from a compilation of these moves).

And, here's a video on band benefits...

https://youtu.be/bku7gqPbw8Y
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    This is one of the best blogs I've seen from a guy that was stationed overseas. I thought it was creative as hell. You can actually find Carabiners that are precushioned (he used tape for them) and they are not that expensive. Rogue has some serious bands too. Not sure I loved his idea on the foot pad, but you could use other things like plywood or even a high density mat and cut to size.

https://abrotherabroad.com/the-essential-resistance-band-exercises-for-legs-resistance-band-squats-and-the-resistance-band-deadlift/
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    You can do squats with bands. I can’t describe the band configuration but it should be easy enough to Google. There might be illustrations packed with your bands. Not sure about dead’s, so just look for something else that works your posterior chain. I’ll see if I can a link for you.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/5wRdiefLvhaHYBpq6
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    My trainer posted a free band workout at whitingfitness@blogspot.com. It has squats and deads, and youtube links if you don't know what the exercise is.

I've been using it, and like it all right. It's a stop gap until the gym opens, any way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    While bands can help with strength, they are only CONCENTRIC CONTRACTION. In other words, as you stretch them, the resistance increases. As you return them to position, the resistance immensely decreases. Since you can handle more resistance on the ECCENTRIC phase of any exercise, it's very limited at strength building. You're better off doing body weight exercises at different angles or even things like pistol squats or one arm push ups. Better yet, get a suspension system. At the very least you're still including eccentric contraction in your workouts that way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png