Help...How to reduce arm flab???

Options
I am in the midst of my weight loss journey, at the start of the journey I was almost 350 lbs, I am now 273 and continuing on my journey. I appreciate my progress however I have always had larger pudgier arms that hang and have a roll, I would really like to work on reducing the amount of flab there is. I know some of it is probably hanging skin and that I don't have a ton of options for that but in general what are good options for this.

* I should mention, I have added much exercise in to my routine as I have a hernia repair and a hysterectomy about 2 months ago and have not been cleared for anything strenuous.

I appreciate any help or suggestion!

Replies

• 2kidsandatrip
    2kidsandatrip Posts: 98 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    ed3nh59v8o4f.jpg
    I appreciate all the insight, I had no idea about most of that. πŸ™ƒ

I do think alot of the weight in my arms are fat right now, I wonder though if there is exercise to help this though as I continue to lose weight. My arms have always been a huge problem area. πŸ˜”
  • BAC716
    BAC716 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @2kidsandatrip Congrats on all of your progress thus far! The best thing you can do is continue on with a steady sustainable eating plan and focus on building/preserving muscle through weight training. You can add in some cardio as well or whatever style of exercise works for you.

Unfortunately, there's no way to really target or spot reduce body fat in certain areas. We all tend to carry it a little differently and have problem spots. You can certainly put time into building lean muscle in your arms but it won't directly cause more fat loss there specifically. The fat will come off different places as you go, just keep working out and keep protein levels up to preserve that muscle and be patient!

Like the others said, stay away from any creams, wraps, etc. that claim to help in any significant way!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,241 Member
    Options
    ed3nh59v8o4f.jpg
    I appreciate all the insight, I had no idea about most of that. πŸ™ƒ

I do think alot of the weight in my arms are fat right now, I wonder though if there is exercise to help this though as I continue to lose weight. My arms have always been a huge problem area. πŸ˜”

Unfortunately, no, I don't think there are specific exercises that will help just exactly that.

I think that exercise generically may help somewhat in an overall sense - both cardiovascular exercise (potentially ensuring you have good circulation in your body tissues, so skin stays as healthy and elastic as possible) and strength exercise (so that the musculature in that and other areas becomes as firm and healthy as it can be).

You can pick a form of cardiovascular exercise you enjoy, anything that gets your heart beating to the point where it's a little bit of a stretch/challenge, but not miserable or exhausting to do. As you get fitter (and you will), you can increase the duration, frequency, intensity, or type of cardiovascular exercise, to keep it enjoyable and just that little bit progressively challenging. There are lots of options for types of exercise: Walking, biking, swimming, dancing, active video/VR games, online classes of many sorts, and more.

It's OK to experiment to see what seems do-able and enjoyable, but I'd encourage you to give each new thing a fair chance (as long as you're not fearing injury!). It's normal to feel awkward and like it's impossible to do something at first - we all feel that way! - but after a few sessions, it starts to seem more achievable. If you can, give things that few sessions' chance. The things that seem easy from day 1, by contrast, often get boring really quickly.

On the strength training front, there's a good thread about picking a strength training program, and it includes some beginner programs, including ones that require minimal or no special equipment. It's here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

If the beginner progam you pick is a little too challenging for you at first (as it is for some of us), it's fine to do adapted versions of exercises, or fewer repetitions, or something like that, and gradually work up to the full beginning set of things.

It looks like you probably do have some body fat in that upper arm area, and as I mentioned, sometimes an area of fat gets a little more floppy or droopy when we start losing weight, but will improve slowly as time goes on. Think about a water balloon. When it's full of water, it's kind of plump and firm and rounded. If you let some of the water out, but don't let air in, the balloon kind of gets floppier and flatter and droops, but the balloon stays pretty stretched out. Once all the water is out (no air), the balloon will shrink back to closer to its empty size, maybe even all the way back.

It's only a very approximate kind of thing, but fat-storage areas can be a little like that, with the skin being sort of like the balloon (just a slowly-shrinking one). When you get near goal, you'll have a much better idea how much fat is lost from that area, and how much true loose skin there is (the thin-wrinkles kind). That true loose skin then will take some time to shrink, but there is a continuing chance it will.

Even after reaching goal weight, that skin shrinkage keeps going on, and some of the fat may even change appearance super slowly over time. I know this is really frustrating and alarming that it can take time, that I'm telling you it's hard to tell what the result will be right now.

What I'd underscore, though is that many, many things will be better with weight loss. You'll look better, feel better, be healthier. Even along the way, there will be lots of exciting, positive changes. There will be little things, often, that feel really rewarding. (Check out this loooong and popular thread for many examples: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1275030/whats-your-most-recent-nsv - "NSV" is non-scale victory).

If you go over to the "Success Stories" part of the forum, you'll find many before and after photos of women who've lost substantial amounts of weight, including swimsuit or sportswear photos that really let you see results. I'm betting you'll find that most people get better results even in "problem" areas than you might be imagining for yourself right now. Patience is hard, but there's good reason to hope for and even expect reasonably favorable outcomes in the long run.

Hang in there: Wishing you much success! :)
  • 2kidsandatrip
    2kidsandatrip Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advise, I very much appreciate it!!! I will continue on the journey and incorporate some more exercise as my doctor releases me to do so and I will be patient.