Healthy ways to "top up" calories

Can anyone recommend healthy ways to precisely "top up" calories, when you're aiming for a particular calorie limit? Often my meals fall a bit short of my target, so I sometimes have yogurt to top it up, but I don't know if this is the most healthy every day. Does anyone recommend Huel, Fast800 shakes etc. for this purpose?

Replies

• sofrances
    sofrances Posts: 156 Member
    If you've met your nutritional goals for the day, then there's nothing wrong with a little ice cream or whatever.

I'm one of those people for whom absolutes are much easier than moderation. If I say "no sugary foods", I don't miss them, but if I have one bite of ice cream, I feel deprived if I don't have a second. That's why I'm looking for healthy top-ups.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited April 2020
    sofrances wrote: »
    If you've met your nutritional goals for the day, then there's nothing wrong with a little ice cream or whatever.

I'm one of those people for whom absolutes are much easier than moderation. If I say "no sugary foods", I don't miss them, but if I have one bite of ice cream, I feel deprived if I don't have a second. That's why I'm looking for healthy top-ups.

Potato chips, then?
  • sofrances

I never realised olives were calorie dense! Not quite as finely measurable as something like yogurt, but pretty good option!
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Fruits and veggies.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member

I never realised olives were calorie dense! Not quite as finely measurable as something like yogurt, but pretty good option!

I dont eat olives but checking google they are averaging it to 60 calories for 10, I have no idea what they taste like but if you can pop them like popcorn in your mouth, would be easy to hit 120 calories
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Greek yogurt
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    cottage cheese
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Can anyone recommend healthy ways to precisely "top up" calories, when you're aiming for a particular calorie limit? Often my meals fall a bit short of my target, so I sometimes have yogurt to top it up, but I don't know if this is the most healthy every day. Does anyone recommend Huel, Fast800 shakes etc. for this purpose?

What's wrong with a daily yogurt? How is it unhealthy to top up with yogurt? If you enjoy it, go with that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Weighing them will give you the most accurate estimate for calories.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Jif naturals crunchy peanut butter. My favorite!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited April 2020
    Nuts?

How short? You don’t have to hit your target exactly. It’s ok to be a “bit short” some days.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    ^^ I was going to say this, too. Nothing wrong with saving a few calories for the next day or weekend.
  • sofrances
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. Much appreciated.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    If I'm quite a bit under, as I was today, I grab a handful of nuts, weigh them and then eat. Otherwise, I don't worry about being a little under, as I'll probably be a little over tomorrow!