What is the best distance tracking app besides MapMyWalk?

Options
MapMyWalk has been down for DAYS & I'm getting frustrated. I walk every day & keeping track of my distance is important to me. Suggestions?

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I've never used that app so I don't know what to compare it to. If your phone doesn't track distance, then there's GMapsPedometer which has been around for years.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Strava.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    What operating system and for what? A few years ago ismoothrun was the best with regards to tracking on small winding town roads and over long distances (curvature of Earth problem). Many apps only take a measurement every so many meters, which means that the app cuts corners (or gives you a bit extra). But it only exists for ios and it's not free.

I actually tested lots of apps myself as I was using runkeeper and found that it applied a really strange digital elevation model that I figured might have included houses and trees once the data was loaded on their website. In combination with poor tracking I ended up with massive elevations in a completely flat area due to running over those odd bumps just next to the road I was on :D I hope they have fixed it by now, but not sure. Strava is fine, btw.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Fantastic.

It tracks running, walking, cycling, and ice skating for me personally but has probably over 50 activities it will track.

Calorie burn estimates were in line with HRM and calorie burn calculations and even had a feature for friends to send funny motivating"cheers" to your phone to hear during your activity.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,059 Member
    Options
    Strava.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly a cyclist but have been using the Strava on my phone to track daily walks.
    Tracks course and distance accurately on and off road (using GPS) but beware the walking calorie estimates are ridiculously high - even higher than could be explained by being gross calorie estimates.

(Gross calorie issue also afflicts MapMyWalk and MyFitnessPal estimates.)
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I walked on April 21 using MapMyWalk and it appears that it did everything it was supposed to do, including syncing with my MFP diary. Maybe you need to delete and download it again? I did, however, have problems with Samsung Health awhile back so completely stopped using that app.

I agree with others about the calorie burn being overestimated (for both mfp and mmw) so I try to eat back only about half of what I've "earned".
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Fantastic.

It tracks running, walking, cycling, and ice skating for me personally but has probably over 50 activities it will track.

Calorie burn estimates were in line with HRM and calorie burn calculations and even had a feature for friends to send funny motivating"cheers" to your phone to hear during your activity.

*RUNTASTIC

auto correct strikes

• slade51
    slade51 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Map My Walk/Run/Ride is best for integration (when it works).
    I like Runkeeper for walking/running & mapping routes. It's specially good for pausing & restarting if you stop for a drink or red light. (MMW can be set to pause, but you have to remember to resume manually).
    Strava is more geared toward bike rides and social connections, but also has good mapping.
    None are all that good at integrating with music apps - or at least not with free versions.