Goal settings

Options
Hi all, I just wanted to ask as so many of you have had phenomenal weightloss results what goal settings you use or was it trial and error?
I have looked at mine and it says 2lbs, 1200 cals, 1 1/2lbs 1200 cals, 1lbs 1340 cals and .5lbs 1650 cals. There really doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in the 2lb-1lb but a big jump from 1- .5lb.
I was wondering if anyone had good results in putting the .5lbs loss calorie in because like my food, l wouldn't be wanting to lose weight if I didn't, but I am happy to lose it slowly and I feel if I eat the lower 3 selections I could fall off the wagon.
I know i have probably answered my own question but to have other people's opinions who have had great success would be great.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose?

If you feel it's best to go with the lowest setting them that's what you should do. Slow and steady is the best approach. Remember to log any exercise separate, and eat back those calories.
  • oooaarrrr79
    oooaarrrr79 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Around 3 stone, 42lb.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Around 3 stone, 42lb.

Healthy weight loss for you would be 1-1.5 lbs a week, but nothing wrong with going to .5 lbs a week.
  • oooaarrrr79
    edited April 2020
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    How much weight are you trying to lose?

If you feel it's best to go with the lowest setting them that's what you should do. Slow and steady is the best approach. Remember to log any exercise separate, and eat back those calories.

I have lost weight quickly in the past and it's gone on plus a bit more for good measure so I wanted to learn better eating habits along side with weightloss rather than going all gun ho.
    I forgot to say I am 40, nearly 41, yikes, with a 4 year old and with this lockdown we are only going out once to walk our very old and not very energetic dog.
  • oooaarrrr79
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I have looked at mine and it says 2lbs, 1200 cals, 1 1/2lbs 1200 cals, 1lbs 1340 cals and .5lbs 1650 cals. There really doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in the 2lb-1lb but a big jump from 1- .5lb.

MFP won't give you less than 1200 calories, that's why there is such a small difference between 2 and 1 lb a week: 2 and 1,5lbs a week are not possible for you while respecting a minimum of 1200 calories a day (to ensure adequate nutrition).
    Hi all, I just wanted to ask as so many of you have had phenomenal weightloss results what goal settings you use or was it trial and error?

I was wondering if anyone had good results in putting the .5lbs loss calorie in because like my food, l wouldn't be wanting to lose weight if I didn't, but I am happy to lose it slowly and I feel if I eat the lower 3 selections I could fall off the wagon.

I've lost 35 lbs with that weight loss rate so far! So for me it's great. Still about 25-30 lbs to go.

Two things to be mindful of:

- at that weight loss rate, you do need 'nerves of steel' and patience, because fat loss will much more easily be masked by water weight fluctuations. I've had whole weeks where I was seemingly gaining weight, and then all of a sudden dropped 4 lbs the next week. New exercise, time of month, ... Or just seemingly arbitrary fluctuations, which happen at any weight loss rate, but are much more noticeable during slow weight loss: I suggest weighing yourself everyday and using a weight trending app (Happy Scale or similar). And being patient, looking at the trend over 4-6 weeks.

- secondly, at that weight loss rate, your deficit is 250 calories per day. So accurate logging is very important, not much room for error. So weigh everything (no cups or tablespoons) and check serving sizes (packages may contain more than indicated) and check that you use correct database entries.

In the beginning you'll need to wait a while to be sure that you are at a deficit (not everyone fits MFP calculations precisely, or even activity tracker estimations).
    But once you know you're doing the right thing, you can trust the process and those weight fluctuations are easier to handle.

PS: once you are losing weight, don't forget to 'update' (confirm) your goal settings occasionally. MFP should give you less calories as you lose weight (a smaller body burns less calories) but I've found that it doesn't update automatically for me. Without updating your calorie goal, your deficit will get even smaller as you lose weight, showing weight loss even further.
    I started at 1750 calories a day, at the moment I'm on 1550 calories a day.

Thank you so much, such a lot of great advice and well done on your amazing weightloss.
    One thing also I have stopped weighing myself, I know to probably everyone on here that sounds counter productive but to me weighing is very counter productive because if I see a gain I give up because my brain tells me what I have been doing isn't working so I am relying on my old faithful tape measure and clothes, I generally, as a rule of thumb and asking others, after dropping a dress size equates to 10-14lb so then I could input the new weight and get new calorie guide.