Overweight and celebrating?

Options
timhiley
timhiley Posts: 5 Member
It may seem bizarre to post a thread celebrating being overweight but as usual it is all in the context!!
4o6fscvnbt2g.png

I was diagnosed as diabetic back in September 2019 with a BMI of 45 and blood sugars way out of control. It was the wake up call I finally needed to take some real action to improve my long term life chances and given the situation that is unfolding around us now that is never more true.

Last week, after 7 months of very focused hard work, (with some slip ups along the way!) I dropped out of the Obese category and into the Overweight category for the first time in decades coupled with 'normal' blood glucose readings. Fundamental to this has been the use of My Fitness Plan to track and manage my eating and to hold me to account!

I know all the caveats about BMI and it is 'just a number' but it marks a significant and positive milestone for me and gives me a real positive feeling in a time when positives are in short supply. I am not quite at the stage where I am happy to post photos but I did make the above image using bodyvisualiser.com and I know from looking in the mirror that the two versions are quite accurate!

Sept 2019
130kg BMI 45

Oct 2019
118kg BM1 41.4

Feb 2020
92.3kg BMI 31.9

End of April 2020
84.3kg BMI 29.2

It would be very tempting at the moment to slip into bad eating habits but fortunately I am able to resist this and live in a place where so far I have been able to access the food I need and am able to use my daily exercise session to walk many miles in the country without meeting anyone. I really understand that for those of us living in large towns and cities this is not as easy and I wish all of those people the very best.

I now have my next target in sight which is hitting the 'normal' weight category and I will continue to work towards that but for today I am celebrating and looking forward to the time when we move beyond CV19.

All my best wishes to everyone.

Keep healthy, happy and socially distant!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I totally understand celebrating being overweight, I did it too a few months ago :smiley:

Good work!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Good job.

It might not be right but it is not just another number to insurance companies and it should represent a cost savings.

I always associated "obese" with health risks and complications and I had problems when I started but they were all resolved while I was still obese. I enjoyed losing the label of being obese but it wasn't a line that meant anything more for what I was trying to accomplish. With that said I do like the fact that I am not obese anymore. I am not 100 percent sure why other than it closes a chapter that I do not wish to ever open again. Well that and insurance.

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    That's awesome and should be celebrated. I'm currently working towards getting out of the obese category. Lots of good luck with your journey!
  • wholebygrace
    wholebygrace Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is just great and worthy of celebration! I also look forward to getting out of the obese category and have run my numbers to see when that will occur and each time I lose weight I check on my BMI as well to see where I drift! Congratulations!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I definitely celebrated getting out of obesity! It is a great milestone, and has an actual impact in terms of overall lowered health risks.
  • irish10109
    irish10109 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Outstanding job ! Keep up the good work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!