Easy free healthy things that have worked well for me--what about you?

Options
I used to look great, young-looking skin naturally (being a longtime vegetarian) and then I didn't, because of age, eating prepared food, grumpiness, stress, whatever. Here are some things that completely helped me, all free. Everyone's mileage will vary, but these made a visible difference in my face in a short time, like days or weeks, and also helped the body:

1. I drink enough plain water, and I make it mostly warmer by putting cold water in my cup and then carefully adding some warm or hot to make a safe temperature for drinking. My Tibetan doctor says that having warmer water, especially in the morning, helps the digestion and that really has helped me. He suggests avoiding ice water, and having warmer water whenever you have water. I tend to drink maybe 10-12 eight-ounce cups, and I know others will have different needs.

2. I cut the sodium way the heck down, and it did miracles. The face that used to look fat and blobby got the cheekbones back within a short time. I sort of forgot that even vegetarian supposed-to-be-healthy prepared food is full of sodium to insane amounts, everything from pesto sauce to organic ketchup to the fake meats that I would eat a lot of since my health was sort of poor and I felt tired and needed easy food. These days I still eat some of the fake meats, but I boil them first to get the fat and salt off the surface and throw that water away, and then fry them dry or just boil the meatballs again or whatever makes sense. These days I cook more from scratch, and try for the 1500 mgs or less per day recommended by the American Heart Association instead of the 2300 that everyone seems to think is okay. Obviously people need to find out what is best for them, and can check with their doctors or nutritionists if they need to.

3. I don't drink soda, including diet, or alcohol, and that helps a lot in avoiding empty calories or things that can harm my health and looks. I might have three drinks a year of coffee with alcohol in it around the winter holidays, and that works okay for me. When I had a small glass of hard cider at a pub or something, I tend not to drink much of it so I stopped bothering with that.

4. I stand in front of my computer instead of sitting. It's on a box on my desk at a convenient level, and I have a couple of carpet squares in front of it to stand on as safe cushioning for joints. I spend a lot of time listening to music while online or watching videos, and I dance in place or nearby and the minutes really add up. The most important part of that is that it has made me feel my core muscles again, which reminds me of being younger which makes it all feel possible healthwise, and it helps so much with avoiding back pains and other weakness in the body.

5. I wish every food was organic, since it makes a huge difference in my health and looks. Even organic wheat does not make me bloat up the way regular wheat does, and that might help some people. Note: I am not talking about celiacs or others with medical situations, who should consult their doctors about it all before doing some random thing off the internet!

6. We got rid of the microwave, and wow did that improve the quality of life. Now yeah we have to cook and reheat things in a pan etc., but I avoid so much of the 'heat this crappy thing in plastic' messes that I got into the habit of while living in a bad situation.

7. I use only organic face lotions etc., since that has helped so much with a tendency to rosacea. Even light organic argan oil, which can be got cheap, does more for me than the most expensive cosmetics or potions.

Again, people have to do what works for them and their health, and I am not prescribing anything for anyone, but thought that maybe some of these would work for others too. What has been helpful to you that is a small-seeming action, doing something or not doing something anymore, that has really helped you?

Thanks and best wishes
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!