What fun food facts did you learn recently?

Options
pancakerunner
pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
edited April 2020 in Food and Nutrition
found out that the first ever flavor was ice cream was orange blossom and honey... what food facts did you recently discover?

Replies

• MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    yesterday i learned that insoluble fiber calories included on labels doesn’t have to count against your calorie total, never knew that!! will still count it anyways but, its nice to know there’s wiggle room in there for a little extra calories on days i eat my high fiber cereal..
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    I've learned that Digestibility Corrected food items have confused the hell out of me...🤨
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    That bacon comes from unicorns. 🥓🦄
  • SuziMilovic
    SuziMilovic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @MrsSylvie I had no idea?? What does that even mean?
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options

means its just another thing to confuse us just like paprus3 above mentioned!!

okay really means we apparently don’t digest ‘insoluble fiber’, so you can times number on label by 4 and minus those calories off your total if you wanted to go through the hassle of doing so. not really worth the hassle unless something is high in that fiber though, like my fiber cereal that has 10g insoluble fiber in a serving in it, i can minus 40 calories off the 120 cal per serving if i wanted.

• pancakerunner
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    I've learned that Digestibility Corrected food items have confused the hell out of me...🤨

haha!
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    MrsSylvie wrote: »

means its just another thing to confuse us just like paprus3 above mentioned!!

okay really means we apparently don’t digest ‘insoluble fiber’, so you can times number on label by 4 and minus those calories off your total if you wanted to go through the hassle of doing so. not really worth the hassle unless something is high in that fiber though, like my fiber cereal that has 10g insoluble fiber in a serving in it, i can minus 40 calories off the 120 cal per serving if i wanted.

honestly though, everybody processes fiber differently. Be cautious
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I learned what "salt pork" is. I was trying a recipe that called for it, and was like "What the heck is that and where am I going to get it?" Had no idea that most grocery stores have it.

HINT: It's not so good for you. :D
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

haha!

@pancakerunner I’m dying 😂😂😂
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    There's only 625 calories in an entire tub of frozen cool whip. That's less than most tubs of ice cream...
  • Liliana090
    Liliana090 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I learned that a serving of Cream of Wheat has half the iron someone on a 2,000 calorie diet would need for a day. Eating that for breakfast recently, I'm finally not seeing spots all the time. 😎