exercise w/o monitoring

Options
I struggle with numbers and have semi-sworn off any monitoring like Fitbit/Apple watch/Garmin etc. I’ve never lost weight without one, and I know it can be done but I wondered if anyone else has done this and if they can speak on that a bit? Or if anyone else is also aiming to lose weight without the use of a device to track calories lost?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I've never used a device and I've lost weight. I'm back losing weight now without a device. I believe they are helpful. I guess I just can't bring myself to spend the money.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I use my Apple Watch and before I had that I used a chest monitor. But I found once I got closer to goal, I was tooth and nail trying to work off everything that went in my mouth. I was working out for food, and I hated that.
    I try to now just use exercise for health and strength and not earning calories, so I don’t really feel the need to track any more. I guess it depends on what you feel you need it for. That’s just my experience with it
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You may benefit from the TDEE method (counting your exercise into your calorie allowance so you don't have to track any exercise).

The simplest tracking-free way is to increase your MFP activity level one step higher without changing your weight loss goal and see how your weight loss does over a month or two. It should give you slightly more calories to eat. If you lose too much, increase it one more step, if you lose too little, decrease it back and you're done if close enough is good enough.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Remember all day trackers do not count calories - they just estimate calories, sometimes they can do a decent job of it.
    Just like MyFitnessPal or TDEE calculators estimate calories and can do a decent job of it when used correctly.

No I never had any need or desire to use a device to estimate my general activity. It didn't stop me losing weight on track and maintaining that weight loss long term.

Deciding on a calorie goal, tracking your food intake completely and somewhat accurately (at least consistently) and then adjusting your goal based on long term results to lose weight at a sensible rate works perfectly well.

If you prefer simplicity and dislike gadgets then don't waste your time and money.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Tracking what you eat is far more important than tracking exercise (my devices give wildly innacurate estimates). Exercise is for healh and fitness, eating at a deficit is for fat loss.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without monitoring your intake and usage but you've said " I’ve never lost weight without one,". Kinda answers your question
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It's done every day by millions of people.

I've only tracked maybe two years out of the past fifty.

I believe I read a article suggesting that devices can have a nocebo effect as well.

Generally speaking you need two things.

1. Consistency on activity level. Do approximately the same amount.
    2. Eat approximately the same amount of calories. A food scale is a good tool to train the eye what a portion of certain food is consistent with normalcy.
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's marketing.
    The trackers/monitors are toys - the calories are guesses
    I use a heart rate monitor - it's useful for training info - yes it counts calories.
    I don't use kitchen scales . . . or reading glasses to read the calory details on food packaging.
    Exercise MAINLY gets you fit. It's very hard to burn off 600 calories , I've done it often
    Diet MAINLY affects weight . It's very easy to eat 600 calories , I've done it often.
    2 years ago - 82kg , now 80kg , I don't diet but I am a lot fitter
    Some good comments above.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Context helps. I’m 33, and was a professional athlete before marriage and kids so using scales for food, HRM wasn’t needed or used at all. That said, during the time I began my first weight loss goals after first baby, HRMs were all the rage so I bought into it and it did help.

I know it can be done with and without, obviously HRMs and trackers are new in the timeline of human existence, but I was looking for some people to share their experiences having lost weight without using one. Kinda just would like to hear the positive stories since so many people use devices to help track calories burned etc.