High Blood Pressure

Options
Hi my name is joyce and ive delt with hbp all my life but 2 weeks ago it went so high i was in the hospital a few day. Found out i have sleep apena and a fatty heart. Dr put me on the dash diet did ok the first 2 weeks but all the old cravings is coming back.I have always been a grazer and thats why im at the weight im at.I started at 260 and lost 10 pds but most was fluid while in the hospital.So any advice would be appreciated and low sodium recipes too

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'd recommend you ask your doctor for a referral to a dietician - the can help you figure out a sustainable diet that hits any restrictions you have

but in the meantime at least for me - lower sodium means reducing the amount of processed food; when cooking look towards other seasonings that aren't salt; consider no-salt alternatives (Mrs Dash is a favorite of mine)
  • Jax_Grim
    Jax_Grim Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I've had high blood pressure issues as well. There are a few things I have been doing to improve it. Losing weight is obviously the best thing you can do. I have notice my blood pressure getting better when I started dropping a lot of weight here. Here are few other things I've been doing:

1. Improving fiber intake. I have swapped to whole grain breads. I add chia to my yogurt. I have increased my veggie intake.
    2. I have started taking garlic and fish oil supplements.
    3. Take time to de-stress. I walk daily to help myself. I used to listen to music while walking, but found quiet walks help me to de-stress much better.
    4. Salt substitutes. I use a little of the potassium salt substitute but find using other seasonings reduces the need for salt. As others have said, I really like the Mrs Dash. The garlic and herb one is one of my faves. Also, if you cook with butter, start using unsalted butter.
  • tompkins1
    tompkins1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do season with Mrs. Dash that has hekped alot , and i do try to eat better I've just got to try and get my family on board cause its hard doing it alone
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    Exercise can help, too. It doesn't have to be some crazy-intense thing. Just start with whatever is doable, but a tiny bit of a challenge, and go on from here. One of my exercise inspirations around here is a woman who in her late 50s weight (if I recall correctly) over 300 pounds and who was unable to walk to the end of her (non-massive) driveway without resting. Now, a few years later she's slim and taking long bike rides, completing 10Ks, and more. Just a bit of challenge, maybe starting with short walks or whatever's achievable, and moving along as that gets easier: So powerful. Pool exercise is great, too, if you have access to a pool or lake. The water helps support body weight.

Can you ask your doctor for a physical therapy referral, to get started on some kind of movement that would be safe and beneficial for you? The physical therapy people can be really brilliant about that sort of thing!

Another benefit is that exercise, even mild exercise, can help move fluid through the body so it doesn't build up as much.

Best wishes!
  • tompkins1
    tompkins1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help i've been trying to get out in the evenings to walk with the kids and doing a little better with the eating Its a long road ahead and i will get through just gotta make little changes everyday :)