Excersise video that wont kill me

Options
I want to excerisse but i dont want to kill myself doing it. I want to sweat but also enjoy it and feel great, not end up in tears at the end. I have 2 young children in lickdown with special needs therefore i dont have a lot of time. Something 10-15 mins would be great. Or something i can divide and do 2 short bursts of.

I am extremely unfit but i want to improve it. I just want enpugh to keep me moving and active, get the blood pumping...

Can anyone recomend something either a dvd i can buy or youtube channel or video to try?

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I'm in a similar position to you
    Were on sheilding (cannot leave the house at all) because of my daughters lung disease (1 damaged lung to breathe on) both my kiddos are special needs so fitting in exercise is trickier

I have an elliptical and stationary bike I use when they are occupied, eating etc

Another thing I love is typing "walking fitness" on youtube
    It brings up Leslie sansone who has low impact stuff ranging from 10-50 minutes but it also brings up some younger ladies with their dance moves and bouncer music
    I did one the other day who used ABBA music which brought back memories of seeing tribute bands with my mum 😊
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    I agree with ruqayyahsmum. Walking workouts are a great place to start.

Leslie Sansone's website is www.walkathome.com You can buy an app that has a monthly calendar of workouts or get her DVD's on Amazon and of course lot's of her workouts are on youtube. For the last few years she has concentrated on workouts that are 4 to 5 mph. Some of her older workouts have slower miles and they might be best to start with. Or, just do the faster ones, but at your own speed.

Jessica Smith is another instructor of walking workouts. JessicaSmithtv.com and her stuff is on youtube.

Hope this helped.
  • JK1542020
    JK1542020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ah these look great thank you! Exactly what im after :) do you think these will still help with weight loss despite being quite gentle?
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I agree, Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds
  • JK1542020
    JK1542020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ive also bought some dumbells in a moment of madness because i want nice arms 🤣 so im going to try to do a few excersises every day
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    HASFIT have a great beginners full body workout with Dumbbells, I used it when I was recovering from a back injury to build up my strength again, there are modified movements too if you're a "complete" beginner. Will definitely work a bit of a sweat up and last around 17 mins, although as you get used to the order, you might polish it off a bit quicker. You can also increase the weights as the weeks go by.

I saw a fantastic change of body composition once I started incorporating the strength training in and it's also great for women as it helps fend off osteopirosis, which we're more likely to get in our older age by improving bone density! Win Win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIHy-ZnSndA
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like Jenny Ford (she also has a channel called freedom fit). Mostly marching or step workouts, but has has some simple dumbbell workouts and abs too.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    YES to Leslie Sansone walking videos free on YouTube. I have 3 young kids, one with special needs and I can start them, sometimes one or more of my kids do it with me for a short period. I can take breaks, pause, etc. plus there are so many different once to choose (15 minutes, 3 miles, boost, fast, etc.). I did a beginning body weight video for 20 minutes and could barely bend over or lower myself to sit on the toilet, lol. No issues with the walking videos - slight soreness on the longer ones, but nothing extreme.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    freelymama wrote: »
    Ah these look great thank you! Exactly what im after :) do you think these will still help with weight loss despite being quite gentle?

Every form of moving one's body burns calories, so if you move your body more, you burn more calories. It can be exercise, of any intensity, even the mildest, but if you do more movement than before, you burn more calories than before. It can include movement that you may not even think of as exercise, like more active play with the kids, or dancing a little bit to the radio, or doing some stretches when commercials come on TV: Movement counts!

The main purpose of exercise is fitness and health, rather than faster weight loss. Wwith MFP, we're supposed to set things up so we lose weight at around the same rate whether we exercise or not, but we get to eat a little more when we do exercise, which is a great life lesson: Move more, eat more; move less, cut back a little - that will be what it takes to maintain a good, healthy weight long-term.

Any exercise that's a little bit of a challenge for our current fitness level will help improve fitness and health. As we get fitter, we can do something different, or go longer, or do it more often, or do it more intensely . . . to keep that bit of challenge, and keep making fitness progress. Gradual progress is great!

Usually, the sweet spot for exercise during weight loss is to find that slightly challenging level, but not something so extreme that we're fatigued for the rest of the day (maybe just a few minutes of "whew" right after the exercise). The aim is to feel energized for the rest of our day, not exhausted. If routinely exhausted, it's easy to rest more the rest of the day, and wipe out some of the exercise benefit.

For starting, gentle is good. Gentle and a little bit challenging.

Best wishes!
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender also lets you sort their workouts by type/length/difficulty (on their website), could have a look at that and give some of the easier ones a go? They also let you choose low impact or stuff with low impact modifications
  • savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I found Leslie Sansone and it was perfect! I only got 30 mins through a 30 min workout but thats pretty good for me and i felt like i wasnt far off so im gonna keep at it and try to finish it:)

That's great! You can do this. Wishing you every success!
  • kiwiroz
    kiwiroz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like Fitness Blender on YouTube free individual sessions or on their website they put together a 4 week programme. Their low impact one is on sale at the moment $4.50
  • hawksgirl229
    hawksgirl229 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Leslie Sansone
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Another vote for leslie sansone- as well as for ladies of a moderate age(40-) pauhla bower has tons of youtube videos which are free- low impact or walking etc-
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I found Leslie Sansone and it was perfect! I only got 30 mins through a 30 min workout but thats pretty good for me and i felt like i wasnt far off so im gonna keep at it and try to finish it:)

This is great! I’ve found that setting realistic goals keeps it sustainable for me. When I first started working on my fitness I set a 30min/3x a week to begin. I had 3 very small children and finding the time and energy was extremely difficult. I kept that up for several months before it became easy enough and routine enough that I felt like I could add more and then I bumped it to 5x a week.

I do an hour 5x a week now but it’s been over 5 years my kids are older and a little more independent. I’m also in better shape now than I have ever been. I had to work my way up slowly. Only increasing what I was doing when I felt like I wasn’t getting enough out of it or as my schedule allows. I do still occasionally fall back to my original 30/3x a week base line and that’s okay.

If I had tried to start at the level I am now I would never have kept it up this long.
  • KerrieA87
    KerrieA87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I’m in the uk shielding category too since I’m on immunosuppressants, I also have exercise induced anaphylaxis so struggle to exercise for a sustained period without significant increased risk. My middle child is autistic and although she struggles to follow them properly we YouTube things like Disney Zumba, les mills born to move and joe wicks move kids, they’re all really short programs (about 5mins each), your kids can get involved or just enjoy the familiar music and you can dance along.