Where does your mind wonder to while running?

What do you think about during a run or cardio session?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Gardening.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,377 Member
    I am a total klutz so I have to pay attention to what I'm doing. If I daydream I always trip over something. :(

Yes, me too! Plus it depends on the run: if I try to run longer I'm very much concentrating on staying slow (lockdown seems to make me a bit restless), and if running faster I think: just 1 more km, just 800m, yes, just 712m, etc... :D
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    My goes all screwy on me and tries to tell me that I should stop / give up if I leave it to its own devices. So I give it an interesting podcast / audiobook to play with and keep it busy to let me get on with my run.

(I don’t always actually pay attention to said podcast, but it draws me back from the negative mindset).
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    I've recently started listening to podcasts so I'm usually listening to that and what they are saying, but I'll have the TV on in front of me too with closed captioning on so sometimes I tune out the podcast and read what they are talking about on TV, then realize I haven't been listening to the podcast and try to figure out what I missed. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Oh and try not to die from exhaustion. (I'm not a runner but I'm trying to...)
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    I don't run much, but when I do, it's usually "ooh, I only have 29 minutes left. great, now I have 28 minutes left. Yay, I've done 2 miles already. I hope the neighbor's dog doesn't bark at me today. breathe in through the noise, breathe out through the mouth. yay 27 more minutes"....ad nauseam. Same thing when I go cycling.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    All kinds of crap runs through my head. I think about past situations & how it could have been different. I think about what I need to do that day.
    I listen to music so most of the time I focus on that & try to clear my head. But I’m ADD so I get sidetracked really easily.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,377 Member
    Ok, I ran again today, just because. Today I thought: hmm.. not going as well as yesterday (not surprising). Meh, I want to stop. I can't stop because I'm too slow to run short. Then: it's too warm, I wish I'd left my jacket at home. I wish it would rain. Then: Meh, I wish the rain would stop. :D
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Audio books or podcasts, what's that bird / creature? Is that a nest? Where does that path go, have I got time to see?
    Count breathing in and out, listen to the birdsong, meh I want to stop and walk - can I get to that tree first, then the next one....
    I'm to hot, shouldn't have worn the warm top - or Its freezing why did I just wear a t-shirt bloody wind etc....

Recently - Where's this idiot going, can't they give me a bit more space.. Grumble grumble repeat....
    Fascinating really 😆
  • Tausi
    Tausi Posts: 35 Member
    Talan79 wrote: »
    All kinds of crap runs through my head. I think about past situations & how it could have been different. I think about what I need to do that day.
    I listen to music so most of the time I focus on that & try to clear my head. But I’m ADD so I get sidetracked really easily.

I have often wondered what “clear my head” means. I hear this from many runners. Is it thinking something through in detail or trying not to think at all?
  • Tausi
    Tausi Posts: 35 Member
    edited April 2020
    *double post
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    @Tausi When I say clear my head I try not to think about anything. Sometimes I can by just focusing on the road ahead. But again, my ADD brain will think of something.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    I WISH I could let my mind wander when I run.

I count steps. I am driving myself nuts. If I count to eight 100 times that’s half a mile. So I do it six times. Sometimes I break it into different sets. Sometimes I intentionally miscount, but always to the tune of four or eight.

I’ve had two bad falls since I’ve been running. If I could ever manage to let my mind wander, I’d probably break something. Like the sidewalk. With my face.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    I WISH I could let my mind wander when I run.

I count steps. I am driving myself nuts. If I count to eight 100 times that’s half a mile. So I do it six times. Sometimes I break it into different sets. Sometimes I intentionally miscount, but always to the tune of four or eight.

I’ve had two bad falls since I’ve been running. If I could ever manage to let my mind wander, I’d probably break something. Like the sidewalk. With my face.
    I catch myself counting in threes, because at a local running clinic he counted off in rhythm “one two three, one two three” as we ran down the sidewalk... it can definitely get old!