Squat stance?

Options
I’ve seen mixed claims about the effect of squat stance on muscle groups and was wondering if anyone could tell me the benefits of narrow vs wide stance squats? Some claim that narrow works the glutes more, some that wide is the more effective form. Is there a large difference in the muscles used most in those two variations?

Replies

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Narrow stance hits quads more
    Wider stance more glute and hamstring involvement

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I really notice the increase in work in my glutes when I do sumo squats.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    There is going to be variation in what people feel most in the glutes based on anatomy, load, load position in relation to foot position. Many people tend to feel wider stance where they can get great squat depth. I would experiment with all the variations and foot positions and see what feels best, allows you to overload properly and activates your glutes. I have always taken a shotgun approach.. so I use a variety of types of squats, vary my reps and loads.. I will focus on a few per month and then switch it up each cycle.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Honestly I wouldn't be concerned about what might hit a certain muscle more or less. No there isn't a substantial difference in the two stances in most individuals.

What we are looking for near full muscle motor recruitment as a whole for each individual. Both will involve the same amount of muscle motors in general. Both will be governed by adequate volume at the appropriate intensity and exertion.

Find a stance, bar position, toe angle, grip width what have you that allows you to hit just under parallel depth that we can replicate.

Which is more effective is really individualized. I myself have a extremely narrow stance for squats despite being tall and long femors. Yet still hold a couple records for squatting.

Find what works for you and train.

*edit to add
    I would utilize other means to focus on glutes such as deadlifts or the variations over squats regardless.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Honestly I wouldn't be concerned about what might hit a certain muscle more or less. No there isn't a substantial difference in the two stances in most individuals.

This is what I was going to say, though probably stated much better than whatever I would have typed out.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I prefer a wider stance, DH prefers a more narrow stance. I can also squat much deeper than he can (in general I'm more flexible). I notice much more glute involvement than he does, but I've also spent the better part of a year training glutes and focusing on glute and mind-muscle connection and whatnot.
  • cyw5
    cyw5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if there is a large difference but I do find that when I do sumo squats (wider stance), I feel it more in my glutes. Whereas the narrow stance works on my quads more.
  • M93KG
    M93KG Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Depth and tempo are greater development factors — not width — unless you squat equipped where stance width is of greater importance.