Question about hunger

Options
I've been at this several months, and have figured out how to meet my doctor-prescribed calorie and macro-goals (though I'm a little short on calories today).

But I have this new issue... about ten minutes after I finish eating, whether it's a snack or a large-ish meal, I've been feeling hunger. Real, physical hunger. It goes away after about ten minutes, but it's really annoying. There's no reason for someone eating a nutritious meal with meats and veggies and whole grains and healthy fats should feel hungry afterwards.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,775 Member
    Options
    Is it hunger or digestion? You're describing something I've experienced and wondered about also. I have to believe it's most likely digestion.
  • weosys
    weosys Posts: 4
    Options
    bump
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I thought about that too. Maybe it is digestion...I just never had it feel like hunger before.

To get past emotional eating, I've been trying to listen to my body and the signals it sends. When I'm hungry, I eat. When I'm full, I stop. When I'm thirsty, I drink. ... So this business about hunger at a time when I don't actually need more food is throwing me for a loop.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I always get that. If I eat, I'm always feeling hungry afterwards. I'm used to eating until I'm actually feeling full, rather than just sated, so I think my body's still not used to it.
  • ShannonMK9
    ShannonMK9 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough to drink? Sometimes thirst comes accost as hunger.
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I had that problem for the longest time and it finally went away. I think it had to do with my digestive system adjusting to the food I was eating. The important thing is to stick with it and continue to eat nutrient dense food and it will eventually go away. If you have any more questions let me know :)
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Maybe because of digestion,, your foods was digest and u have empty stomach now ATM,,

physical exercise can cause hunger too because they burn calories

to prevent hunger or starvation mode that can cause slowing ur metabolism or can temp u to eat a lot

try eating 4-6 times meal a day every 2-3 hours

drink also a lot of water
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Had this all the time when trying to stick to the 1200 calorie limit given by the MFP system initially.
    With a higher limit, not so much, but of course, the body takes time to adjust to smaller amounts of food.
    Also, carbs make me hungry much faster, protein and fat help.
  • rkasper22
    rkasper22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    you might have a food allergy, or be eating too MUCH fiber!
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If it is just 10 minutes after, sounds like your brain saying hey wait that was good, where's the rest, and then another 10 minutes after that, the food you ate hits your stomach and it says, oh there it is, it was enough after all.
    Since you know it is only going to last 10 minutes, you just need to distract yourself until the OK I am full message gets to your brain. just make sure you are eating healthy, nutrient dense foods, and as little processed and sugary food as you can.
    I have been doing this for several months now, and I have all but lost cravings for junk food. I was filling the car yesterday after my gym workout, and I was a couple of hundred calories short for the day, but instead of buying chocolate, I actually went home and made proper food. I never dreamed a year ago I would be able to do that, and it wasn't just about the willpower to say no, I just looked at the display and did not want to put that crap in my body. I am a reformed chocoholic yippee.