Tracking Exercise With Fitbit

Options
lollie1285
lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
edited April 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi friends! I have finally synched my Fitbit up with the MyFitnessPal app. However, I’m curious if it incorporates your exercise along with your steps? For instance, I burned 400 calories through exercise but it logged 1700 steps into the app, not the actual exercise I did. Is that something that I will have to do manually? Do I keep the already synched steps in there as well if so? I figured the exercise is included in the step count but just wanted to make sure so that I can make things as accurate as possible since I would like to eat back some of these calories.

Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It's never going to log the actual exercise session itself. It will give you an overall step count and an adjustment based on the difference between the activity MFP estimated you would have done (based on the activity level you entered in your account) and the activity measured by your Fitbit. This is to prevent you "double dipping" into calories (if you tell MFP you are lightly active, you don't want to eat the exercise calories unless they take you *above* the lightly active threshold). You do not have to log your exercise.

• lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It's never going to log the actual exercise session itself. It will give you an overall step count and an adjustment based on the difference between the activity MFP estimated you would have done (based on the activity level you entered in your account) and the activity measured by your Fitbit. This is to prevent you "double dipping" into calories (if you tell MFP you are lightly active, you don't want to eat the exercise calories unless they take you *above* the lightly active threshold). You do not have to log your exercise.

Perfect! Yes the double dipping is what I was concerned about. Thank you!!