Marathon training plan question

Options
pondee629
pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
I am currently in week 6 of Hal Higdon's 30 week Novice Supreme Marathon Training Program. The program is a combination of his 12 week novice base building plan and 18 week novice Marathon plan. Although I'm in my 6th week, my runs and conditioning are closer to week 10 (almost ready). 18 weeks from my scheduled Marathon is June 14. If ready, should I start the 18 week Marathon plan a week or two early or stick to the schedule strictly? Thanks

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'd stick to the schedule - you can never underestimate base building when it comes to marathon training
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    If this is the first time you've built to that kind of mileage I would stick with the plan. The worst thing you can do now is push too hard and get injured.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd stick with the plan as it has you running your peak mileage at the right times, move the schedule ahead and you may be peaking too soon.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others. Stick with the schedule. Base building is boring but will be helpful to get you through the tougher runs coming up.

Good luck.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Sticking to the plan it is, staying with the base building runs until June 14 and then starting the Novice Marathon Plan. thanks.