Metabolic slowdown

Options
I've been doing intermittent fasting and this week decided to do a multi-day fast, which I've done in the past, though results weren't spectacular I'm sure due to metabolic slowdown. Things are back to normal now diet-wise, does anyone know how long it takes to bounce back from metabolic slowdown (i.e., when it starts to crank back up again)?

Replies

• favabean1982
    favabean1982 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Weight loss :-) Metabolic slowdown just refers to what your body does as opposed to starvation mode-it goes into a survival mode and slows down various processes to keep you running :-)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Maybe “metabolic slowdown” means loss of energy?

Eating enough calories perks you right up! :D
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options
    Weight loss :-) Metabolic slowdown just refers to what your body does as opposed to starvation mode-it goes into a survival mode and slows down various processes to keep you running :-)

Ehm no, that's not how it works. Your body needs about 1200 calories per day just to keep you alive. Your body will not switch off your brain function every now and then, run your liver and kidneys at half speed, pause the heart a bit in order to keep you running, etc. It's possible that you move less, fiddle less, are generally less active if you undereat. But your body does not stop functioning because it's extremely egotistical and wants to survive.