Wineglass marathon? Who’s done it

Options
Signed up for the wineglass marathon in New York and making it a full 3 day thing...since all my other races are kaput for the year, might as well spend it all on one major race...right?

Anyway, it’s marathon 2 for me and I’m going it alone this time. None of my run-crew wanted to chance it this year or dedicate training to a marathon that might not happen.

So, anyone have experience with this run? Restaurants you like? How’s the course? How would train for it?

And by god I miss racing.

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    It was my first marathon. Course is lovely although it was dreary and rainy the day I ran it. Net downhill, but it just felt pretty flat to me. Great course support (frequent, well stocked stops). It’s a nice event.

I stayed at the Ramada Inn. I didn’t want to have to worry about traffic/parking and all that, so I just walked out to the bus to the start. I only stayed the night before and the night of the race so I don’t know about other things to do. Sorry!

There was a woman cheering while riding a hobby horse on her front porch. I’d do it again just for that.

It is a great race. Have a great time!
  • sicilygirl
    sicilygirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I ran the half marathon last year and loved it! The weather was cloudy and fall-ish but lovely for a race. I agree with the other post - while net downhill it felt flat. The post race had yummy food. I stayed at a Hampton Inn in the next town over (Horseshead) and it was easy to get a parking spot and onto the bus. Corning is a really cute little town with restaurants, shops, and coffee shops in the downtown where the race ends. You’ll love it! It is a race I would definitely do again.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Ran it a couple years ago (also dreary and rainy). I liked the course until we got closer to Corning when they routed us through a park and then over bridge into town. I wouldn't 'not' run it again because of that but I feel they could come up with something better. The course was slightly downhill (enough that I felt it in my quads for a couple days after the race).