Neck...

J72FIT
J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
Hey Fit Fam! Any tips on training safely to thicken up the neck a little bit? Thx!

Replies

• KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Shoulder shrugs and then anything else that hits your trapz will probably send you in the right direction 👍🏼
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,023 Member
    shoulder shrugs and weighted neck harness.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2020
    I would just deadlift.

The majority of people will have a great response of the neck/traps without doing any muscle specific work.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Goblet Squat w Dumbbell
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I would just deadlift.

The majority of people will have a great response of the neck/traps without doing any muscle specific work.

Oh dear I hope not for me.. *cuts all deadlifts out of programming immediately* :D
  • Chieflrg
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I would just deadlift.

Oh dear I hope not for me.. *cuts all deadlifts out of programming immediately* :D

I'd hope you would want a great and proportionate response to training.

Or do you prefer the atrophy neck look :smiley: ?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I would just deadlift.

I would prefer to be able to fit into my turtle necks and wear my necklaces. :P
  • Chieflrg
    I would just deadlift.

I would prefer to be able to fit into my turtle necks and wear my necklaces. :P

Or a new squat rack?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    This is a tip from Pilates to build neck strength, though not thickness. Hope I can describe it clearly.

If you have a Pilates circle, lay on your back and put the ring around your neck, with the ring under your occipital. Pull up on the ring as hard as you can, while pushing down with your head at the same time.

It’s a really great neck stretch and builds neck strength, too.

If you don’t have a ring, you can use a hand towel and pull directly upwards on either side, while pressing your head towards the ground.