starting keto...maybe?

Options
I have been thinking off and on about starting keto but i am really scared.Im not worried about the bread,rice,flours so much but about the sugars and the fruits.I'm also worried about gaining the weight back or damaging my metabolism even more,While my body is detoxing the sugars i am really afraid i will be short tempered especially now at home with my kids.Does anyone have any input or suggestions on how to do this?or not do this?

Replies

• daniels8186
    daniels8186 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i am eating at a defecit and working out now but i am not losing anything.But perhaps you are right and i will start off by limiting.thank you for your input
  • sue7043
    sue7043 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I tried keto. The good: you won’t be hungry-there are a lot of foods allowed that are satisfying to fill the void at first. You’ll lose weight fast, probably. Also, you could measure progress with the ph sticks. The bad: Weight comes back super fast if you don’t maintain and it’s hard to maintain indefinitely. Also, I’m with you- I wonder about how healthy it is. Isn’t it frustrating that there is so much conflicting information out there from seemingly well-qualified professionals? Maybe there’s no right answer and you have to experiment and figure out what works for you. If you decide to do it there was a blog that I liked called Go Keto with Casey. She has a good resource page. Just a suggestion. Good luck!
  • daniels8186
    Options
    I'm just spinning.I haven't' found something that works and keto is something that's so prevalent.But thank you for your input.I agree whole heartedly with the things you said.
  • daniels8186
    Options
    i am using the food scale for meats and a measuring cup for veg and greens.I use measuring spoons for pb and oils.That's mostly what i eat now
  • Jeanaiah
    Jeanaiah Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ehh.. if you can give up carbs then why not give it a try see if it works good for you. But remember, once you start eating carbs again, you’ll gain the lbs you’ve lost (cuz really, it’s not good for long term)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    i am using the food scale for meats and a measuring cup for veg and greens.I use measuring spoons for pb and oils.That's mostly what i eat now

Less junk to clean if put the jar/bottle on the scale and "tare" and look at the negative value!

Plus your scale is much more accurate vs your eyeball + volume measurement devices!

Unless your room temperature is... uncomfortable, conversion tables for volume to weight exist and for most oils are around 14g per tablespoon.

Conversion info from United Nations food and agriculture organization (FAO) : http://www.fao.org/3/ap815e/ap815e.pdf
  • claire6240
    claire6240 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did Keto a year ago and lost 1 stone and thought yay but then it stopped and I missed fruit and struggled when eating out. We went on holiday and I ate carbs and found it hard to stop. I put all the weight back on and more. I did fell a lot healthier while doing Keto but I missed my fruit and veg. It totally depends on the person.
    However I’ve started this way of eating for almost a week and lost almost 5 pound already which is amazing. I’m eating less carbs but not drastically less like Keto and same for fat and protein and I think this is a lot healthier way of loosing weight and the only thing that will ruin it is not tracking your macros and over eating. It’s amazing how much you don’t realise your over eating until you record it.
    Hope this helps anyway x
  • daniels8186
    Options
    clare6240 can i ask what you are eating now? I've been tracking but have been gaining a lb a week and i don't do much in sugar or really anything in refined carbs but i am still incredibly bloated.

Thanks everyone for your input
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking off and on about starting keto but i am really scared.Im not worried about the bread,rice,flours so much but about the sugars and the fruits.I'm also worried about gaining the weight back or damaging my metabolism even more,While my body is detoxing the sugars i am really afraid i will be short tempered especially now at home with my kids.Does anyone have any input or suggestions on how to do this?or not do this?

Sounds like perhaps you don't fully understand the underlying principles of keto? I would recommend you make sure you understand it before trying it. (That goes for any diet: make sure you understand how it works, why it works, etc).

I don't eat keto, but do eat a liberal LCHF wholefood diet, which operates on the same underlying theory/principles for weight-loss, but is not as strict in number of carbs as keto. I do eat some fruit, mostly lower-sugar options and berries. I don't eat sugar, it is terrible for health. More info about different levels of low-carb here https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/how-low-carb-is-low-carb

To complicate things further, there are different variations of "keto", and it can mean different things to different people. This is why I clarified when explaining my own diet, that I eat a liberal LCHF "wholefood" diet - as this is significantly different (imho) to someone who eats a processed LCHF diet.

People who are most critical of "keto" are usually thinking about a processed keto diet. If people eat junk, it's not going to be good for them, even if they can lose weight while doing it. This is true of any approach.

While it's true initial weight loss on low-carb includes some water loss, I don't see why that matters. I lost over 120lbs on low-carb - that's not all "water weight"!

It's also true of every approach (regardless of whether keto or something else) that weight will be regained if don't stick to it. And 95% of diets don't work in the long term. That's the paradox we're all dealing with - the odds are against us.

But, we have to try something to lose the excess weight that is making us ill. Up to you which approach you try, keto is one option a lot of people have success with, and there are other options you could try too.

What @psuLemon has said above all makes good sense. If you join one of the keto or low-carb groups you will find others who eat this way, and discover the variations in approach too. Lots of tips to minimise keto flu symptoms - and you'll find that it's carbs that are most responsible for that "hangry" irritable feeling, so changing to low-carb will likely reduce your mood swings in the longer term.

The person who I most follow for advice in this space is Dr Jason Fung, he has a book "The Obesity Code", but I started by watching some free videos on youtube and reading his blog. He combines LCHF wholefoods with intermittent fasting.

I also make use of the free content on the Diet Doctor website. They have lots of good info.

[Both of these website have a good amount of free content, but also promote a paid membership option - I have not signed up for the paid memberships, just made use of the free content.]