Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Watermelon
    Berries (especially strawberries)
    Corn on the cob
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Plums, peaches, watermelon, rum ice cream, wilted lettuce with radish & spring onion.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Watermelon, cucumbers, bbq
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    We've just started grilling here. We have a lot of what my OH calls "Power Salads" starting this time of year - big entree sized salads with chicken and his favorite veggies and add-ons for him and mine for me.

It's not really "the taste of summer" for me until the kale starts popping in my garden and I can make Thai beef salad with kale and herbs from my garden and cucumbers from Mom's garden.

In about a month I will have strawberries in my garden. Saw the first blossom yesterday. :smiley:
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Hot dogs and marshmallows toasted over a fire. Cheese popcorn (we always brought it on camping trips). Buffalo burgers because our local college has a bbq with buffalo burgers. Ice cream in cones. Funnel cake and elephant ears (our local festival is cancelled this year because of covid, so will be missing these). Strawberry shortcake, both in storebought cakes and homemade shortcake, because I had the former as a child and the latter as a teen while at home.

A minor aside for the smells of summer - in college I had a bunch of friends who all smoked American Spirits. I never smoked but I learned to love the smell of American Spirits because of the hours we'd spend hanging out on various Lake Michigan beaches. It's pure nostalgia.
  • hawksgirl229
    hawksgirl229 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Fruit salad
    More varieties of fruit in season and perfectly ripe
    Homemade potato salad
    A staple at our summer get togethers
    Strawberry pretzel salad
    Yum one of my favorites and also part of summer gatherings.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Frozen custard
    Lemon Italian ice
    Grilled burgers and brats
    Peaches
    Plums
    Iced tea
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    definitely grilled food and watermelon!!!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    Adding Topo Chico to the list!
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Fresh vine ripened tomatoes with sat and fresh basil, grilled sweet corn, watermelon
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,995 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Watermelon. Can't wait until they are in season and sweet! Also, homemade vanilla ice cream
  • privy95
    privy95 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Watermelon, peaches, and fresh corn 🌽
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    ze9e4q2yiuyb.png
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    4mjmki6sevct.png
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    sea9hokbdmvw.png
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    ew8l7re444cw.png
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    qstbbg1subdt.png
  • ArtsieSarah
    ArtsieSarah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Lemon EVERYTHING. I think it started when I was a kid with luigi's lemon italian ices and now as an adult I break out the pink lemonade, homemade honey-lemonade, lemon loafs, lemon cakes, lemon meringue pie, lemon curd, etc. As soon as Easter hits that's when the lemon stuff breaks out and it stays out all summer hahaha!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    4mjmki6sevct.png

yum! grilled vegetables are so good
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Anything on the grill, but especially burgers or bratts. We grill year around, but burgers and bratts tend to be a summer thing. Potato salad. Corn on the cob. Fresh fruit, especially things like blueberries, strawberries, cherries, nectarines, and passion fruits. Trout when camping, if I happen to catch any or any big enough to eat. Ice tea and lemonade. Cold brew coffee.