Fooling Myself

Options
Hi - I am in maintenance, having lost over 100lbs last year, and have kept it off for a year. I am sticking with MFP for all the reasons the rest of you are as well - i have silly question to ask- AM I the only one here who tends to trick myself by not recording things i shouldn't eat ? or under reporting how much I may consume (e.g trail mix - a favorite of mine - but I rarely report the full amount) ?.

I full recognize the stupidity of this - no one ever sees my log, and even if they did - i am only kidding myself - if I eat it the body and weight will "know about it" - but still find myself less than honest with myself - just wondering if I am more delusional than others ?

Thanks for any candid feed back.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When I'm maintaining, I have a "one bite" rule - that is, I won't bother to log anything of which I have just one bite. This is more of a mental thing, I want to be free to taste something without having to log it. It doesn't seem to have had a negative impact on me. If my weight ticks up a little and I need to get back into my comfort zone, I either don't have the bite or I log it.

What I wouldn't do is log less of a food than I knew I was eating or skip logging something because I felt like I shouldn't be eating it. It wouldn't work for me. However, it sounds as if this isn't impacting your weight negatively. I would only worry about this if you find that you're gaining weight. I think most long-term maintainers have little quirks or methods that work well for them but wouldn't necessarily work for others.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh or measure what I eat, so a few jelly beans more or less don't matter. I do enter every food I eat, whether it's healthy or not. So the donut or chocolate chip cookie will be logged. For me, that is the main benefit of logging after so many years in maintenance. It keeps me honest and it keeps me aware that what I choose to eat has consequences. In the past, I've seen how one cookie can gradually become three, or one donut a month can become two a week. I don't want to slide down that slippery slope again.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    It's not a problem if you are maintaining your wt, while not recording @thing that you eat. The problem only arises when your wt rises when doing that. So, let your scale be your guide.
  • NeahF
    NeahF Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What you eat in private, you wear in public.

Man, that's good.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Yeah, I do that. And trail mix is my weakness, too. Talk about a dumb thing not to count -- it's so caloric! I often end up logging it later just to improve the accuracy of my numbers. But ultimately everyone above who asks if you're gaining or maintaining are dialing in on the end goal. If your go back to a deficit after you gain x pounds, your unlogged tastes are just taking you there sooner. Weight is going to fluctuate, and that is not bad if on the whole you have it in check.
  • barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time. I do find that it can get a little binge-like sometimes, and if that happens, I know I'm in trouble and need to get back to logging everything accurately. But, this is the second time I've been through this weight loss thing, after losing almost 50 lbs 8 years ago (which I gained back after a divorce and a surprise baby at 35....LOTS of emotional eating and zero exercise). The first time, I lost weight very quickly through MFP and exercise and maintained it for several years doing the same thing. But I did find that it made me a little crazy...logging EVERYTHING is effective for sure, I did lose weight and I did feel good and look good. But, it makes me feel obsessive and anxious and that's not good for me. So, this time, I'm less concerned about logging/weighing EVERYTHING. I aim for the 1000 calorie deficit per MFP, I do workout a minimum of 35 minutes daily, unless life REALLY gets wild and I genuinely cannot (like...I did not workout the day of my dad's funeral or his wake, or when my toddler had the flu etc, or on days when I have had to work double shifts). But I also feel far more comfortable like, not exactly loggin everything and lying to myself about my portions....did I actually have 1 portion or was it 2? Was it 3? I try to consciously be aware of it without necessarily needing the obsessiveness of the food scale. It's working for me, the weight is coming of a lot more slowly this time, but i'm emotionally doing much better.

I'm no pro or expert...but if what you do works for you, it's probably fine for you. If you're logging 100 calories of trail mix and actually eating 600, it's going to show up in your body and then it clearly isn't working for you, you know? If you're trying to maintain, but still sort of yusing the MFP calorie deficit youre probably fine.

Weight is a balance of keeping your mind well right along with your body. If both of those things are "well" with a few little mind tricks, so be it.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    What you eat in private, you wear in public.

Probably the single best, most succinct statement I have ever read on these boards. I think I’m going to put that on the inside of the pantry door.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    bshsmbhqog78.png
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    bshsmbhqog78.png

This. I want the data. And what I’ve found is I can eat more (in maintenance) than I thought I could!