CLIF bars

Options
2»

Replies

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    nothing is "bad for you" really unless it's poison. just figure out if the macros and calories fit into your plan one way or the other and enjoy what you enjoy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    NeahF wrote: »
    Are they good or bad for you?
    Do you eat them? How often and what kind?

I wouldn't say they are inherently "good" for you or "bad" for you...context is important. Anything can be good or bad for you depending on context.

I don't eat them on a regular basis, but they are a great hiking or rock climbing food that is small and easy to transport and high in energy (calories). I also used to have one on me for long rides and endurance cycling events for that reason as well. I don't eat them on the daily...IMO, flavor is decent, but not great and I could think of a lot of other tasty things to eat if I'm just at home. They are great when I need energy though, and at that point not really giving a whole lot of thought as to how they taste. I prefer the peanut butter ones the most.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    r6n8yug0d7t9.png
    Do with it what you will. Not something I would ever eat considering there are so many alternatives
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    r6n8yug0d7t9.png
    Do with it what you will. Not something I would ever eat considering there are so many alternatives

Personally, if I'm gonna eat something with that many calories, I would prefer it to have more protein (10g/100 calories at least). Unless it's cake...or pie. :p Or chocolate.

But that's because I'm usually low on protein since I automatically reach for the carbs.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    r6n8yug0d7t9.png

Personally, if I'm gonna eat something with that many calories, I would prefer it to have more protein (10g/100 calories at least). Unless it's cake...or pie. :p Or chocolate.

But that's because I'm usually low on protein since I automatically reach for the carbs.

I agree. Plus, there is no ingredient integrity whatsoever. A little biased, but CLIF, KIND and the like are criminal in how they market themselves. And anything by Quaker lol
  • glassyo
    Options
    r6n8yug0d7t9.png

I agree. Plus, there is no ingredient integrity whatsoever. A little biased, but CLIF, KIND and the like are criminal in how they market themselves. And anything by Quaker lol

Didn't they start marketing the Kind bars with the ingredients you can pronounce tag? Whatever it was, it annoyed the hell out of me. I don't eat them now for other reasons but whatever it was totally put me off.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,721 Member
    Options
    They are higher in sugar than other choices however if you enjoy them and keep calories right sure. They do taste very good. They are dense but can be a satisfying snack-treat- pick me up. I get Garden of Life bars. 200 calories and they are somewhat similar category
    The peanut butter chocolate are awesome. Ive introduced them to a lot of people who love them.

A ~200 calorie snack like that is what kept me from binges for years. Knowing that I can ve something that I really enjoy every day gives you freedom.
    Again they are tasty 😋
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    snip

I'm all for banning "The Man" for the littlest of reasons, believe me. However, CLIF bars have the structural integrity that helps it keep in my packs for a while. There are, of course, higher-protein bars with much less sugar (Simply Bars are a tasty example) but they break apart in your hands at the slightest wisp of air. Perhaps it's just me, but I'd rather not look like this when sweating in public and noshing a snack...

bomlmemztanq.gif

NOTE: thanks to @RelCanonical, I just put some CLIF bars in my carry-on luggage where "Future Me" will be OVERJOYED for a snack that doesn't come from an airline steward.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    r6n8yug0d7t9.png

What I like about these bars is they go down easily, they are pretty high calorie for the size (which I need) and I usually won't want another one after I'm done. So it's palatable but not delicious so I don't crave them at all. They could have more protein but I usually eat them after or with a protein shake.

But if I was on limited calories I probably wouldn't choose them over another lower calorie high protein option.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    r6n8yug0d7t9.png

I have no issue with how Clif markets itself....unless I'm missing out on some of their advertising, AFAIK they went with the I'm a backpacker sick of the blech choices, and so formulated something that tasted less disgusting while being fairly-ish well-rounded on macros, and keeps and travels well, also a decent ~$1/meal price tag for that.

As far as I know, they didn't go the "organic"/"superfood"/'blah blah blah' route to advertise to the stupid people like Kind, etc., also whichever brand makes those stupid sugar-bomb ground date-based ones that snobbish people like because they are 'healthier'). They are far from being protein bars, but are much better than trail mix, granola bars, and a lot of other traditional portable non-perishable trail food, as far as protein content goes.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    r6n8yug0d7t9.png

Cliff Bars have never put themselves out there as a protein bar. They are an energy bar and are the brain child of Gary Erickson, an avid cycling enthusiast who decided to make his own energy bars after a day long 175 mile ride in 1992. He did not enjoy the taste of the energy bars on the market at that time, so he determined to make his own, and thus Cliff Bars were born.

Their primary purpose is to provide quick energy for endurance athletes, hikers, climbers, etc. Once upon a time, they were difficult to find outside of bike shops or places like REI, etc. They're actually a really cool company. Gary Erickson believes in work life integration...ie integrating home life with work life. If they want to take off a bit and hit the gym...go for it. Need to run home and put some laundry on...no problem...take the dog for a walk...no biggie, and this is all on the clock time. His employees also own around 20% of the company.
  • glassyo
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    r6n8yug0d7t9.png

Cliff Bars have never put themselves out there as a protein bar. They are an energy bar and are the brain child of Gary Erickson, an avid cycling enthusiast who decided to make his own energy bars after a day long 175 mile ride in 1992. He did not enjoy the taste of the energy bars on the market at that time, so he determined to make his own, and thus Cliff Bars were born.

Their primary purpose is to provide quick energy for endurance athletes, hikers, climbers, etc. Once upon a time, they were difficult to find outside of bike shops or places like REI, etc. They're actually a really cool company. Gary Erickson believes in work life integration...ie integrating home life with work life. If they want to take off a bit and hit the gym...go for it. Need to run home and put some laundry on...no problem...take the dog for a walk...no biggie, and this is all on the clock time. His employees also own around 20% of the company.

LOL I know. I was just saying..

Sounds like a good place to work. There was this one guy I used to work with that almost got fired because he reeeeally needed to do laundry during our busy season so...left and did it.

I've tried the peanut butter one since I buy them for my boss and liked it.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    r6n8yug0d7t9.png

LOL I know. I was just saying..

Sounds like a good place to work. There was this one guy I used to work with that almost got fired because he reeeeally needed to do laundry during our busy season so...left and did it.

I've tried the peanut butter one since I buy them for my boss and liked it.

Yeah, they average a mere 5% turnover.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    r6n8yug0d7t9.png

It's not them necessarily... just how they are perceived as this healthy SNACK bar. Majority of people consuming are walking 150 feet... not biking 150 miles.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    r6n8yug0d7t9.png

It's not them necessarily... just how they are perceived as this healthy SNACK bar. Majority of people consuming are walking 150 feet... not biking 150 miles.

I mean, that's just *Americans* for you. We see the same thing with Gatorade, Muscle Milk, and actual protein bars. We're prone to over-estimating our need for calories and foods designed to support higher activity levels/athletic recovery.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    r6n8yug0d7t9.png

I mean, that's just *Americans* for you. We see the same thing with Gatorade, Muscle Milk, and actual protein bars. We're prone to over-estimating our need for calories and foods designed to support higher activity levels/athletic recovery.

absolutely.
  • cwolfman13
    edited May 2020
    Options
    r6n8yug0d7t9.png

Nutritionally speaking, I find them to be pretty good...but yeah, they are high calorie and high carbohydrates and are so for a reason. I don't really blame them for people's perceptions. They don't overtly market as a healthy snack for your average Joe or Jane sitting around the house. Their marketing slogan from their website:
    CLIF BAR® Energy Bar is the first bar we made, and it’s still everything we’re about. Nutritious, organic ingredients. Performance nutrition. And great taste. Whether you’re on a 150-mile bike ride or exploring a new trail, this energy bar is built to sustain your adventure.

Their website also has buttons for "Athletes" and "Athletes Favorites"

IMO, they pretty clearly market to active individuals, but unfortunately I think a lot of people think, "If it's good for athletes, it must be good for me" without understanding the context of an endurance athlete riding for 150 miles or a hiker out on the trail for 10 hours and what those energy requirements would be.

Yes, they market themselves as "healthy"...but they put an emphasis on athletic performance and sustained energy for that performance as well.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    They do make a protein bar as well... It is their builder series.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I can see people who are trying to lose weight buying these and assuming they are a “healthy” snack although it may put them over their calories and then wondering why they aren’t losing weight.

I think this true for a lot of nutritious foods.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I can see people who are trying to lose weight buying these and assuming they are a “healthy” snack although it may put them over their calories and then wondering why they aren’t losing weight.

I think this true for a lot of nutritious foods.

..or the ones that aren't even very nutritious... looking at you granola (aka fried, sugar-coated oats)!