40MINS WALKING OR 20MINS hiit?

Jeanaiah
Jeanaiah Posts: 15 Member
Which one is better for weight loss?🤔🤔 should i walk 40mins a day for 5 days a week or 20mins HIIT a day for 5days a week?

Replies

• djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    20 mins of hiit - if you can do it every day.
    Walking is good but it is not intense. Not easy to increase calory burn. But may be easy to stick at.
    I would guess a few minutes of very vigorous exercise would burn more calories than 40 mins walking - the "easy" parts make the "hard" parts do-able !
    Calory intake is more important tho' .
  • diliveslife
    diliveslife Posts: 42 Member
    Why not keep your walking and add some toning like Pilates or Yoga. It's more gentle on your body while achieving a toned look - and muscle burns fat, plus it looks good! Have you tried bands? You can order some different sizes and do arms, back, even leg workouts using bands that help tone you, then keep a walk or walk/jog in there just for some good heart health and calorie burn. I walk my dog every AM for about 40 minutes but don't consider it anything in terms of helping achieve my body goal. I do SPIN every day and weights (or resistance bands) & pilates to help keep tone and muscular. Of course, the better my diet the better the results are.
  • djaxon1
    edited May 2020
    "And no, you would not burn more calories in a few minutes of very vigorous exercise than in 40 minutes of walking. That's just nonsense. "

Why say that ?
    Burpees , star jumps, squats for 12 mins spaced with short breaks - or 40 min walk ? ?

I answered the OP's question. But how can anyone answer without more info ?

"Forty minutes of walking probably burns more calories than 20 minutes of HIIT"
    - I find that hard to believe when walking is most likely 2.5mph. I find 4+mph v.fast.
    I have got to around 15 cals/min over 30 mins - incline walking with slower "rests" - which may go more ~ 20 mins.

My opinion is that walking is very good exercise -the most under-rated - and everyone should walk more . However it isn't going to burn that many calories and it takes time. Lots.
    Compared to the sofa - it's even more fantastic !

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,842 Member
    edited May 2020
    TO, you are already close to underweight. You want to have a certain body, which you won't achieve with burning more calories via cardio but with training your muscles. You are supposed to eat back those exercise calories anyway. So please stop trying to achieve something that will likely not happen and think of what you're doing. If you lose weight, and especially in a big deficit you lose muscles, which will make you more skinny-fat. Skinny-fat is a lack of muscles, not a certain bodyweight.
  • yirara
    djaxon1 wrote: »
    "And no, you would not burn more calories in a few minutes of very vigorous exercise than in 40 minutes of walking. That's just nonsense. "

Why say that ?
    Burpees , star jumps, squats for 12 mins spaced with short breaks - or 40 min walk ? ?

- I find that hard to believe when walking is most likely 2.5mph. I find 4+mph v.fast.
    I have got to around 15 cals/min over 30 mins - incline walking with slower "rests" - which may go more ~ 20 mins.

My opinion is that walking is very good exercise -the most under-rated - and everyone should walk more . However it isn't going to burn that many calories and it takes time. Lots.

First of all, I think you're talking about interval training, not HIIT. Or could you drive your heartrate to the maximum by doing squats, or something as complex as star jumps, and then still go on for a moment? Second, how much calories do you think such interval training really burns and what % would be working out and what % resting? Walking is roughly distance * weight * 0.3 (in imperial), and if you walk 3mph then you get 2 miles in 40 minutes.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Jeanaiah wrote: »
    Which one is better for weight loss?🤔🤔 should i walk 40mins a day for 5 days a week or 20mins HIIT a day for 5days a week?

A caloric deficit is better for weight loss and that happens by watching what you eat. In terms of calorie burn neither 20 min of HIIT or 40 minutes of walkingwill burn significant amounts and if it's really HIIT you could/should not be doing it 5 x weekly. How about alternating? Walk one day (a recovery day) and do intervals the next?
  • yirara
    Jeanaiah wrote: »

A caloric deficit is better for weight loss and that happens by watching what you eat. In terms of calorie burn neither 20 min of HIIT or 40 minutes of walkingwill burn significant amounts and if it's really HIIT you could/should not be doing it 5 x weekly. How about alternating? Walk one day (a recovery day) and do intervals the next?

Keep in mind, TO is already close to underweight and doesn't want to be skinny-fat.
  • djaxon1
    Hi - " First of all, I think you're talking about interval training, not HIIT."
    Err . . you're probably right , I'm not sure !
    I just read about sprint ang high interval training - https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/article/what-is-hiit-training
    There seems to be a lot of difference in-between those 2 definitions !
    To answer the OP's question more info is needed eg walk speed and what hiit
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited May 2020

Why say that ?

You are welcome to your opinion no matter how incorrect it is. And you make lot's of assumptions to support your false view. Like the person walking is doing a 2.5mph pace.
  • mmapags
    Hi - " First of all, I think you're talking about interval training, not HIIT."
    Err . . you're probably right , I'm not sure !
    I just read about sprint ang high interval training - https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/article/what-is-hiit-training
    There seems to be a lot of difference in-between those 2 definitions !
    To answer the OP's question more info is needed eg walk speed and what hiit

Yet that hasn't stopped you from dispensing typical fitness blog type of advice up to this point.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Both. They do different things for you.
  • djaxon1
    edited May 2020
    Well , what do yo base this on - "Forty minutes of walking probably burns more calories than 20 minutes of HIIT in the first place, . . ."

edit 2.5mph walk is my best guess to the OP's incorrectly framed question . What else do you do ?
  • djaxon1
    Wow , your typing leaves me standing ! Thanks for all that work.
    If I read you right, the numbers you used give a very qualified 203 (+14to18) vs (158-212) , hiit wins.
    However, I think you are a very fit person who walks fast !
    Now , 3 different assumed walking speeds 2.5 , 3.2 and 3.8mph ?
    I got a bit left behind at concept2 but I accept all your reasoning.
    I fully get the fatigue penalty / daily life calorie expenditure - a new term but I get it.
    So the possible number win for hiit is really so constrained by unknowns that . . .
    Your answer is worthy of Azdak - which is kind of strange.
    I have read all Azdaks blogs and many of his comments. I joined MFP to keep up with his thoughts .
    I just got an old polar f11 hrm 2 weeks ago based on the first article you linked to , which states calorie counting from hr is guesswork , especially for none steady state (weights , hiit ?)
    I haven't read anything recent tho' - he said he was 62 maybe 10 yrs back - I hope he is well.
    I've got a few Q's so will ask in new thread and welcome your input.
  • mmapags
    You're quoting me in these two posts, not Mmapags. Not his job to defend something I typed.
    It may not be my job but it would always be my honor mi amiga. Estamos de acuerdo mucho.
    With this post, we're giving advice to a relative exercise beginner.
    A key point. HIIT is an advanced strategy for those already fit and for improving Vo2 Max performance. It is an inappropriate strategy for a relative beginner. And also the point that HIIT modalities would carry a much higher risk of injury is an important factor.

One factor that wasn't mentioned in your quite insightful analysis (or I missed it) is the fact that HIIT shouldn't be done more than 2 to 3 times per week due to the high central nervous system impact and recovery requirement. One can walk for 40 minutes 7 days per week if they choose due to minimal recovery requirement. So with the individual incident burn being close to equal and using 5 days per week as the OP stated, there is 40% higher calorie burn in a week. Not an insignificant factor.

For the 2nd time in about a month or so, I am compelled to say:
    pc95t0l3itcf.png