Balancing Pilates and cardio

Melm2h
Melm2h Posts: 5 Member
Hi all!

I'm new to working out and I am at a beginner level. I can commit to working out 4 times a week maximum. I'm really enjoying Pilates and I'm doing cardio because I know I need to as well (I don't think I'll ever love it, though!). I'm wondering how many times a week I should do each given my time constraints. I have read that Pilates is recommended to be done 3 times a week minimum but I thought cardio once a week may not be significant enough.

Thoughts?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Alternate days?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    An exercise routine that we enjoy is a great blessing, because if we enjoy it, we'll do it, and as a bonus it enhances our quality of life.

It's possible to do things we don't enjoy, simply because they're good for us, but that's going to be a little more fraught, almost unavoidably.

So, do your Pilates that you enjoy, on whatever frequency fits well into your life. As you progress, you may find that you want to do more, and that's great. But if that doesn't happen, it's fine.

With the cardio, what I'd ask is this: What cardio? There are a probably a million things that are cardio. A few examples: Walking, running, dancing (ballet, tap, modern, jazz, aerobic, ballroom, country, square, . . . many more), inline skating, bicycling (stationary or trail or road), swimming, rowing on water or machine, active VR games, roller skating, crossfit, inline skating, kayaking, canoeing, tennis, table tennis, basketball, ice hockey, ice dancing, ice skating, cross country skiing, soccer, disk golf, martial arts (kung fu, Krav Maga, ju jitsu, karate, . . . more) . . . I could go on indefinitely. Do find them all not fun? That would be kind of surprising, but I guess it's possible.

I admit, some of these are tough in coronavirus shelter-in-place, but others are possible. If they're not necessarily equally repellant, maybe try some new things, and keep experimenting, to find the enjoyable ones. Give each a few sessions, to get over the "newbie blues" (we all feel incompetent and awkward at first, but sometimes the things that are instantly easy get boring fast). Maybe you'll find something you enjoy.

And to answer your specific question: Cardio 1 time a month, even 1 time a year, is more significant than zero. One time a week is definitely worthwhile.

Find a routine that works for you. Over time, it may lead you to do other things, to keep challenging yourself, and keep feeling stronger and fitter. But start with the enjoyment, the life enhancement: That's good. :flowerforyou:
  • sashimimaniac
    sashimimaniac Posts: 71 Member
    Pilates, like yoga, if done slowly and mindfully, is a good everyday exercise. The only caveat is for beginners. First three months of anything, slow and steady is best. Beginners pilates maybe about 3x a week first and see how it goes :)