Weight Maintenance

Options
Good morning,
I previously made a thread about gaining some weight during COVID in the form of a lean bulk, even though I am doing body weight exercise and not resistance. The overwhelming opinion was to wait it out until AFTER the lockdown ends to bulk. However, I also want to address that I have slowly lost a bit of weight (maybe 2-3lbs it seems) since the lockdown began. I have not been going to the gym (obviously, only doing at home body weight stuff) and doing some dancing routines (which I know is probably a calorie burn).
Due to the weight loss, I am slightly below my weight maintenance range (133.8 is my current, 135-140 is where I am comfortable). Right before COVID, I had successfully bulked back into my normal range from approximately 133 (which I was maintaining for about a year).
Therefore, I am wondering a few things:
(1) Should I gain the weight back to get into maintenance or just focus on maintaining this slightly lower weight (I obviously look no different and clothes feel the same)?
(2) If I should regain the weight, what is the best way to do that WITHOUT counting calories? In my past, I noticed that strict calorie goals have made me anxious and rigid. I am feeling much better psychologically by keeping a mental tab of my intake throughout the day, but relying a bit closer to hunger cues than to the number on the app. Thus, I would like to make any necessary adjustments without STRICT counting.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    How long have you been below your chosen maintenance range?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it could be a loss of water weight due to your change in exercise. Your muscles probably gave up some water weight since you are no longer using weights. You could also be losing if you are moving a bit more or eating less. If you are really concerned you can gain a bit back, add a snack to your day (about 100-200cals), then monitor over time. You can do this without tracking calories. Since you are within the normal range and you say you don't look different, then I wouldn't stress out about it too much though.
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    How long have you been below your chosen maintenance range?
    well it’s a bit nuanced. 7 years ago, I lost to 137 and maintained in my range for four years or so. Back in the summer of 2018, I began maintaining a little lower in the 133-134 range as I got into running and had trouble eating back calories even with counting (I was eating anywhere between 2300-2800 during this time).
    Then I decided this year I was going to try to build muscle a bit and committed to quitting calorie counting (I didn’t like the way I obsessed over my macros). I successfully got up to 137 before COVID hit. Now over the past few weeks I have seen my weight dip down. I would say I fell below my range consistently maybe about 2 weeks ago.

With all this said I also want to say that I’ve finally gained a very healthy body image. I love the way I look (even though I had a tendency in my past to judge myself in the context of my light weight—BMI is around 21). So while I love the way I look now, I certainly don’t want to drop weight unintentionally. I find it frustrating I am losing anyway as I am eating pretty well and definitely not over exercising. If I had to guess (and I do keep a good tab of calories eaten) I’m eating somewhere between 2300-2500 calories daily currently. I never break a sweat during workouts and the dancing is just recreational routines and nothing OVERLY intensive.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    So you are 1.2 pounds down from the bottom of your maintenance bracket. Add a small snack say 100 cals every day and see if that levels off the decline.

I wouldn’t stress about 1.2 pounds personally. It’ll be ok if you keep an eye on it.
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    So you are 1.2 pounds down from the bottom of your maintenance bracket. Add a small snack say 100 cals every day and see if that levels off the decline.

I wouldn’t stress about 1.2 pounds personally. It’ll be ok if you keep an eye on it.
    Thank you for giving me that piece of mind! I get so stressed about it even though I know I can stop any unnecessary weight loss. The external validation of that is really needed
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    It sounds like it could be a loss of water weight due to your change in exercise. Your muscles probably gave up some water weight since you are no longer using weights. You could also be losing if you are moving a bit more or eating less. If you are really concerned you can gain a bit back, add a snack to your day (about 100-200cals), then monitor over time. You can do this without tracking calories. Since you are within the normal range and you say you don't look different, then I wouldn't stress out about it too much though.

This