Personalised nutrition plans

Options
sody78
sody78 Posts: 25 Member
Are personalised nutrition plans worth it? I’ve been using MFP on and off for the past 4 weeks but I don’t log religiously at the weekends. I train with kettlebells predominantly and workout most days. Daily steps are over 10,000. I’m 42 and it seems I can’t get away with that I used to. Strength levels are up and resting HR down not scale weight has went up from 15 stone 4 to 16 stone 4 over the past year. Ive looked about a personalised nutrition programme as it takes out the mental Ram of dealing with it. Any advice

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,912 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Personally, I don't see the point. I log accurately, I have nutritional goals (personalized by me, but I don't think the MFP defaults are bad, for most). I don't find it difficult or stressful, and I personally like eating what I like eating, so I don't see what a professional prescription would add, for me. I'm in year 4+ of maintaining a healthy weight, aiming to lose a few excess pounds ultra-slowly, and finding that pretty easy.

MFP default calorie goal was way inaccurate for me personally, but I've years back dialed in my own accurate numbers, so no issues on the calorie side: Gain, loss or maintenance happen pretty much where I'd expect.

YMMV.

In what way do you think 42 is relevant (not a snotty question, it just isn't obvious to me)? I'm 64. 42 seems young. ;) I'm not sure what "can't get away with what I used to" means. I see I difference in my recovery needs with age, maybe performance improvement comes a tiny bit slower, but that's about it.

If you're not achieving what you'd like, professional advice might be just the ticket. Maybe a registered dietititian consult, perhaps one with a sports-performance background? I wouldn't go to a trainer, or a non-degreed "nutritionist", personally.

Just my opinions, though. :)
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Personally I get a full sports performance
    Bloodwork done twice a year.
    Then analysised by a professional who advices tweaks to my diet which might be deficient
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    No benefit for me, I don't struggle with what to eat - just how much to eat.

If you have gained a stone in a year your approximate daily calorie surplus was only about 134 cals.
    Doesn't seem that difficult to reverse that.
    There's also a conflict in you appearing to want some dietary freedom without complete logging at the weekend but also wanting a plan to follow - couldn't you just log accurately at the weekend but over the entire week eat to a suitable calorie goal?

I don't believe your (relative) young age is a factor in the slightest, far more likely you are simply eating a little bit too much.

Eating for sports performance I can see the need, eating for weight loss / weight control I can't see the need at all if you are happy your overall diet is healthy. I sought some specific endurance fuelling strategy advice but didn't need a plan to follow. The number of times in a year when I actually need dietary precision are limited to when I'm cycling very long distances - rest of the time I simply don't want or need precision.

PS - if you do go down the plan route beware there are some spectacularly stupid plans as well as nutritional science based plans so vet your provider carefully.