Woosh????

Options
mlrtri
mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
Have you had a woosh? Please share your experience.

My weight held pretty steady for 5 days, fluctuating just a few tenths of a pound, even though I was in a calorie deficit. Then I dropped 3 lbs yesterday and another 2.6 lbs today. It could be a crazy water thing. I am too suspicious to be happy about it.

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I found that to be common during weight loss, as have many others in this community. What happens is that fluid retention can mask fat loss which isn't known until that extra fluid is removed from the body.

Some common things which cause this fluid retention are:

A number of factors can cause water retention, including:

Flying
    Menstrual changes and fluctuating hormones
    Eating more sodium than usual
    Eating more carbs than usual
    Medications
    Increase in exercise......
  • mlrtri
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I am hopeful that I don’t step on the scale tomorrow to find the number back up where I was before. I have had an increase in exercise and being a woman my hormones seem to always be changing - LOL. I have never experienced this before.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    I'm totally a whoosher! When I was losing weight I'd hover around the same for about 2 weeks (with a bit of water weight gain during the week, and a bit loss during the weekend), and then I'd go to the loo 2-3 times per night and my weight was down.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Woosher here. I'll get 7-10 days of flatline on the scale, and then have a day with a dozen trips to the bathroom and wake up 2-3 lbs lighter the next morning. I enjoy this aspect of dieting very much and wouldn't trade it for linear weight loss even if it was on offer. I especially like how during the flatline I know my body is storing up that weight loss to bestow on me all at once!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I seem to be moving into a whoosh phase that I wasn't expecting, but the last 3 weeks especially is doing it to me. I was loosing too fast so added back some calories to try to slow it down, but for 2 weeks, I seemed to stall out completely with no loss whatsoever, which had me scratching my head cause I'm thinking that adding back 1400 calories a week is not going to completely cancel out a 3.5 lb loss rate a week! Then last week's weight got, I got that whoosh and there went 4 lbs.

I'm back up today by 1.5 lbs, but I know with my female hormones raging coupled with eating out Tuesday and some general fluid retention I've got going on right now, its not surprising to me and really, the true surprising part is that its not more than that!

In talking to some folks who have lost vast amounts of weight, apparently moving from linear weight loss to a whoosh cycle is pretty common. Perhaps its just because in the beginning, when I was so heavy and needing to lose so much, the fat loss was big enough to counter the water cycles; now that I'm down and slowing down that loss rate, water weight has a much greater impact.

Still, I'm the kind that liked it better when it was linear :)
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,127 Member
    Options
    I've never had linear weight loss, one the reasons is probably that I'm only set at a weight loss rate of 0.5lbs per week. So my daily weigh-ins are all over the place short term.

Largest whoosh in a single day: 2.2lbs.
    Over several days: probably 3.8 lbs in 4 days or so.

My weight usually goes up a bit before a whoosh. I've attached my 'rollercoaster' weight loss (in kg) to illustrate :wink:
  • MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Woosher here- typically hold my weight for two weeks and bam a woosh over 2-3 days. Currently experiencing one this week and I am pumped. Dropped nearly 5lbs over two days (I dont expect more this week, not the pattern of my wooshs). I suspect its water retention from a slight increase in carbs last week + actual loss from the last few weeks.

So close to my first goal!
  • mlrtri
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am up a bit today (2 lbs) but that still gives me a 3.5 lb loss (unless I go up more). I have never experienced this before.