Does myfitnesspal double up on energy expenditure?

Options
So i exercise every day for at least 60 minutes so set my acitivity level to active. When I go for a run I log that. Are the KJ that I burnt in that run already counted when I set the activity level to active? SHould i change it to sedentary?

Replies

• PansyLass13
    PansyLass13 Posts: 14 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    it will be allowing you more calories with the "active" option, so yes, it is sort of counting it twice. many people (and i've almost always done this) log calories burned as 1, so you're not eating back those calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    SHould i change it to sedentary?

That depends if your combined job and other routine activity excluding exercise actually amounts to being sedentary!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Are you active apart from the exercise? This is what MFP means when they ask that question.

If you aren't and you're counting the exercise as part of what makes you active, then yes. You're double dipping. MFP isn't doubling up, you are.
  • fergusondanielmark
    fergusondanielmark Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone! Really cleared it up for me :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Yes in your case you should not log it, you're counting it twice. If you want to log it, set to lightly active and then log 50-75% of any exercise separately
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Yes in your case you should not log it, you're counting it twice. If you want to log it, set to lightly active and then log 50-75% of any exercise separately

How do you know that lightly active is the right activity setting for OP? How will changing the activity setting and logging just part of the exercise result in a more accurate calorie estimate for OP?