The Paradox of Exercise

Options
sofrances
sofrances Posts: 156 Member
Has anyone read the article The Exercise Paradox?

It details a study of the Hadza people, who have a very active hunter-gatherer lifestyle (18000+ steps), but were found to use an average of 2400 calories. The researchers hypothesised that this means that, long term, exercise doesn't so much increase energy expenditure as change what they body spends the energy on. This may be why its so good for you - because it diverts energy away from harmful things like inflammatory processes etc.

I take this to mean that, long term, once your body has got used to higher level of exercise, you might not actually be able to eat back your exercise calories.

What do people think? Does this accord with your experiences of eating exercise calories etc.?

Replies

• sofrances
    Options
    Just FYI, the full article can be found fairly easily. However, I thought it best to post the official link here.
  • sofrances
    edited May 2020
    Options
    It does certainly seem paradoxical, if not strictly illogical. I'm not in a position to argue with the science though (although for all I know there are other scientists who have).

I mean, its not strictly contrary to the law of thermodynamics. The hypothesis is that one form of "energy out" (exercise) reduces another sort of "energy out" (resting energy expenditure).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    sofrances wrote: »
    It does certainly seem paradoxical, if not strictly illogical. I'm not in a position to argue with the science though (although for all I know there are other scientists who have).

I mean, its not strictly contrary to the law of thermodynamics. The hypothesis is that one form of "energy out" (exercise) reduces another sort of "energy out" (resting energy expenditure).

One study does not suddenly become "the science". For it to be accepted scientific fact the results need to be replicated multiple times.

Based on your posts, you seem prone to over-analysis.

At most, what one study like this could show us is that there is something potentially interesting to look at here. Even if the results are 100% correctly observed, there are many ways this could go besides "people who exercise at high levels will stop needing calories for the increased activity."

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,390 Member
    Options
    I remember reading an article quite a while ago about people in some African tribes walking long distances with heavy loads in such a way that they preserve energy. I think it was something about using the momentum of the movement and the additional weight somehow.

I also read a/this? study just now showing that the average male of this tribe is just about 50kg. Now the paper doesn't mention how tall they are, but the average BMI is very much on the lower end, also for women. This suggests very low body fat and low muscle mass, hence less mass to be moved around and to be nourished. This might play a role as well.
  • sofrances
    Options
    One study does not suddenly become "the science". For it to be accepted scientific fact the results need to be replicated multiple times.

Sorry for any misunderstanding, I wasn't saying "The Science" in capitals, I just meant "I'm not in a position to argue with the scientific argument of this article".
    Based on your posts, you seem prone to over-analysis.

Oh, I'd be the first to admit that.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

It details a study of the Hadza people, who have a very active hunter-gatherer lifestyle (18000+ steps), but were found to use an average of 2400 calories. The researchers hypothesised that this means that, long term, exercise doesn't so much increase energy expenditure as change what they body spends the energy on. This may be why its so good for you - because it diverts energy away from harmful things like inflammatory processes etc.

At what height/weight are they maintaining? 2400 isn't necessarily less versus one of us active people. That would amount to ~1000 exercise calories for me at estimated maintenance at my slightly higher than ideal weight. That would be ~30 miles of hard cycling/day in my case.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I also read a/this? study just now showing that the average male of this tribe is just about 50kg. Now the paper doesn't mention how tall they are, but the average BMI is very much on the lower end, also for women. This suggests very low body fat and low muscle mass, hence less mass to be moved around and to be nourished. This might play a role as well.

..So pretty close to my weight as a 4'10" female. Their BMR & NEAT/exercise-generated calories would be on the lower side versus that of most of the people here.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    I remember reading an article quite a while ago about people in some African tribes walking long distances with heavy loads in such a way that they preserve energy. I think it was something about using the momentum of the movement and the additional weight somehow.

That was one of the first thoughts I had myself when reading the article (aside from my other comments already posted)

But in the article there is a graph showing calorie burn in relation to lean mass, for both Hadza and Westerners, and in the explanation:
    “To account for differences in energy expenditure arising from body size, Western averages are calculated at Hadza body sizes"
    Not sure what they mean by size though: height or weight?
  • yirara
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

That was one of the first thoughts I had myself when reading the article (aside from my other comments already posted)

But in the article there is a graph showing calorie burn in relation to lean mass, for both Hadza and Westerners, and in the explanation:
    “To account for differences in energy expenditure arising from body size, Western averages are calculated at Hadza body sizes"
    Not sure what they mean by size though: height or weight?

Yeah, and I still don't know if I looked at the same study, as surprise: I can't find it anymore and the one linked above is being a paywall. I do have quite a few questions as well.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options

It details a study of the Hadza people, who have a very active hunter-gatherer lifestyle (18000+ steps), but were found to use an average of 2400 calories.

Let's break down what 18,00 steps means in terms of calories (assuming reasonably level terrain) it would be something less than 10 miles a day and if you use the .30 x weight in lbs x distance in miles formula for net energy expenditure 10 miles represents 600 cal daily for a 200lb person so a 2,400 cal/day expenditure is not surprising.... FWIW I used a TDEE calculator based on my goal weight of 175 lbs and current exercise levels and my projected TDEE was around 2,400 cals.

• yirara
    Options
    Took a while to find it back: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3405064/
    this is what I read earlier today. There's more data there, some statistical analysis (didn't check that one), and also more questions that I have