Intermittent Fasting Questions

I'm wondering if anyone has any info on IF. My main question is whether I can change my eating windows. Like if I wanted to do a few days of fasting 18 hours and eating 6 and then do another few days of fasting 16 hours and eating 8, is that going to throw things off or does it matter. Is keeping your schedule consistent important? Also, has anyone had success with this plan?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I honestly don't think it matters. All that matters with weight loss is that you are in a calorie deficit. When you decide to eat doesn't really matter.
  • Jelly_Belly_Jim
    Jelly_Belly_Jim Posts: 24 Member
    edited May 2020
    Whether it’s 18/6 or 16/8 wouldn’t matter. The longer the fast the more the supposed benefits. For me, I do it because I can drink black coffee in the morning and then can go a while without feeling hungry at all, including working out in the fasted state. And by doing so I have more calories to eat later in the day and at night, making it easy for me to stay within my calorie goal.
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    Whether it’s 18/6 or 16/8 wouldn’t matter. The longer the fast the more the supposed benefits. For me, I do it because I can drink black coffee in the morning and then can go a while without feeling hungry at all, including working out in the fasted state. And by doing so I have more calories to eat later in the day and at night, making it easy for me to stay within my calorie goal.

I feel the same way. If I have black coffee in the morning and wait until 11 for lunch, I end up eating less calories than if I had both meals and I am so much more satisfied. I'm 54 and munching after 7 pm isn't smart for me anyway, so I like 16/8 very much.
  • lorianncorrea
    lorianncorrea Posts: 151 Member
    I do IF. I aim for 16/8 most days. But there are days that I push for 18 hours. Also from what I have read it's best to keep a similar eating window if you do change times. Since your body is used to being fasted during those hours.