What am I burning?

Options
If I exercise after a small breakfast, but burning far more calories (say if I eat 300 cals but burn 500 cals), am I burning last nights tea, or will I continue to burn for the next few hours or more? The reason I ask is because we always have a Chinese takeaway on a Friday night, and if I want to limit damage, I will burn the calories off throughout the day. If I do this in the morning, surely it wont allow me to have all of those calories in one go later on. Bearing in mind there are usually a can of lager or two in the count too! When I go back to work it will have to be 40 mins in the morning, very early and an hour after work. Is this the best option to ensure I cover the cals? I always manage to get myself into deficit with cals through working very hard. When is it best to exercise in this situation?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    it doesnt matter, as long as you hit your weekly calorie target you'll lose weight. so if you are under a couple of days and then over on a friday it makes no difference!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Q/ What am I burning?
    A/ You are burning a mixture of glygogen and fat when you exercise.

You are wwwwwaaaaayyyyyy over-thinking this!!
    If you are in a calorie deficit over time you will lose weight.
  • Jules190179
    Jules190179 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I hadn't thought about it over the week, I had been thinking on a daily calorie basis. I feel a bit better now. I look at others diaries and they are really healthy, whereas mine are pretty normal, but always within limits of MFP, even when Friday binge day comes. I seem to be losing inches slowly with my exercise, but still no luck on the weight shifting. I appeared to lose 3lb rather quickly but then it keeps hovering back up and down, so not sure what's happening there. I measure again Sunday so hopefully the inches will be going. I guess the important thing is that I feel better for it.
    Thanks for brightening my day! I will look at things a little differently!
    Nice Pic by the way! x :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I hadn't thought about it over the week, I had been thinking on a daily calorie basis. I feel a bit better now. I look at others diaries and they are really healthy, whereas mine are pretty normal, but always within limits of MFP, even when Friday binge day comes. I seem to be losing inches slowly with my exercise, but still no luck on the weight shifting. I appeared to lose 3lb rather quickly but then it keeps hovering back up and down, so not sure what's happening there. I measure again Sunday so hopefully the inches will be going. I guess the important thing is that I feel better for it.
    Thanks for brightening my day! I will look at things a little differently!
    Nice Pic by the way! x :smile:

a chinese and a couple of beers isnt a binge... but the sodium will probably cause you to retain water which will mask any weight loss.
  • linzijoy
    linzijoy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think a weekly treat like a curry is normal - helps to keep you on track as you aren't depriving yourself.

Stop stressing, keep yourself at a deficit and stay active :-)
  • Jules190179
    Jules190179 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I feel better about having a takeaway day now - thanks. Whenever I make the mistake of speaking to my mum about diets, she thinks she knows everything and makes me feel really bad about takeaway and alcohol. She says 'cut everything bad out or you'll never lose it'!! x