Breakfast Ideas?

Options
devilwhiterose
devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
So, I'm a carb-eater. I like bagels, toast, poptarts...

Since joining 3 days ago, I 've been motivated. Today, I had plain honey-wheat toast and a fried egg on top. It was ok, but I can't do that everyday (bored with food easily and not much time).

I have to juggle 2 dogs, get a baby ready for daycare, and head to work in the morning. What are some good ideas for breakfast for a mom on the go?

Replies

• CollegeGirl2
    Options
    The possibilities are almost endless! I like Dannon's Light N Fit Yogurt, fresh fruit (you can have it separately or even mix it in with the yogurt), Eggo NutriGrain Toaster Waffles, Omelets (or just scrambled egg whites with some veggies thrown in -- those are faster), etc, etc.

Smoothies are good and quick to make, too. I'll make a large batch and then just pop them in the fridge or freezer and voila! you have a whole week's worth of breakfasts at your fingertips.
  • yogitoe
    yogitoe Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm obsessed with this thing now that its on my ipod!

In the morning I have yogurt and a banana. Banana's are very filling! Also homemade wheat germ banana muffins, Make a bunch and then package individually for the week.

But, i'd like to start making my own smoothies as meal replacements.
    any good recipes? i'm also wondering if i should add protein powder, and what kind is best?
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Egg whites with salsa on a whole wheat tortilla
    Egg whites with veges
    Greek yogurt with fruit and granola
    Instant oatmeal (just make sure you choose a flavor without a lot of sugar, or just use the 1-minute kind)

Over the weekend make a bunch of whole wheat pancakes and turkey bacon/canadian bacon and package them as individual servings for the week.

Hopefully, this helps!
  • k8tb52
    k8tb52 Posts: 8
    Options
    A good protein powder is Super Berry Ultimate from www.livingfuel.com. I use it two or three times a week.
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Today, I had a bowl of cereal, a banana, and a hard boiled egg.

You can hard boil the eggs on Sunday for the entire week!! I usually always get my meals ready on Sunday so I HAVE to eat good for the rest of the week cause its sitting in the fridge waiting for me! :)

I've also had egg muffin sandwiches---they are pretty tasty and low cal. I use egg whites, a piece of FF cheese and a slice of ham on a low cal English muffin. Pretty dang tasty!

Yogurt is another good option, but I like saving yogurt for a snack!!

Hungry girl has a good oatmeal chocolate chip pancake recipe---and if you eat it with sugar free syrup...Oh my gosh, its delicious!! But, I guess depending on how much time you have in the morning!! Hungry girl also has some yummy apple cinnamon muffins--you could make those earlier in the week and have them ready for the rest of the week---the recipe only makes 4 which I love!!

Good luck!
  • devilwhiterose
    Options
    I'll have to try the nutri-grain waffles. Those seem easy to pop in and munch on, on the way to work.

I've done smoothies in the past but they never turned out so well. And after about 10 minutes, everything separated and it looked disgusting. :laugh:

Yogurt never seems to fill me up. One cup and I'm starving on my deathbed an hour later.

I like the idea of pancakes and bacon on the weekend and making them as servings for the week. I should give that a shot.

Thanks!
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    My favorite is peanut butter and fruit spread on whole wheat toast. Sometimes I substitute for the fruit spread with sliced tomato. If you've never had tomato and peanut butter together, try it before you knock it. It's delicious! And I also sometimes do a banana with peanut butter instead. I don't always eat peanut butter for breakfast, but it's my favorite. Stays with me longer than anything else I've ever tried.
  • devilwhiterose
    Options
    I like the egg mcmuffin idea too. We have some lo-cal (or lo-carb?) english muffins... That wouldn't be too hard to make in the morning. A couple minutes in the frying pan and voila.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Spread Peanut Butter on a piece of whole grain bread, put a banana in the center, wrap the bread around and eat it like a hot dog.

Yummy and simple.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Yogurt never seems to fill me up. One cup and I'm starving on my deathbed an hour later.

Thanks!

I know what you mean about eating just yogurt, but if you eat it along with some fruit and granola that would probably hold you better.

For me lately, I have been having a low-fat Chobani Greek yogurt with pineapple and a banana for breakfast, and by 10-10:30am I am hungry, so that's when I grab my almonds. I only eat 20 and that holds me until lunch at about noon. And of course, drinking a lot of water.
  • mamakitty729
    Options
    I love making mini-quiches to take with me, since I never seem to have time to do anything in the morning. I can make these either on the weekend, or the night before. And it might take some getting used to, but I eat them cold if I don't have time to microwave them (it happens more often than you think - trying to get out the door on time with a 5 year old is nearly impossible).

From Gina's Weight Watcher recipes:

Broccoli and Cheese Mini Egg Omelets
    Servings: Makes 9 cupcakes • Time: 25 minutes • Points: 2 ww points each

* 4 cups broccoli florets
    * 4 whole eggs
    * 1 cup egg whites
    * 1/4 cup reduced fat cheddar
    * 1/4 cup good grated cheese like pecorino romano
    * 1 tbs olive oil
    * salt and fresh pepper
    * cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°. Steam broccoli with a little water for about 6-7 minutes.
    When broccoli is cooked, mash into smaller pieces and add olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well.

Spray cupcake tin with cooking spray and spoon broccoli mixture evenly into 9 tins.

In a medium bowl, beat egg whites, eggs, grated cheese, salt and pepper. Pour into the greased tins over broccoli until a little more than 3/4 full. Top with grated cheddar and bake in the oven until cooked, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately. Wrap any leftovers in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator to enjoy during the week.