Intermittent fasting?

Options
Anyone else? My doctor recommended I try this. Trying to build my friends list for some mutual support.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is caused by being in a calorie deficit. Why does your doctor think intermittent fasting will help?
  • sddehart
    sddehart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes I started it- it was a recommendations as I have prediabetes. I can certainly tell a difference. I am eating the same calories before, but now there is more time to burn off the insulin so I am actually losing. Go figure. Hit a massive plateau for almost a year and this seems to be promising...
  • andimickey
    andimickey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    IF has worked for me in the past and is working for me again. Basically cuts out a meal - I choose breakfast. Eat first meal around 11-1 - I find after several days I'm not hungry until then. I do combine it with low carb and exercise. Seems to be the only formula for this body. Hope that helps - read all you can about it and give it a try.
  • playhardkf2017
    playhardkf2017 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I do it as well, I have my first meal at 11am and am done eating for the day around 6ish. I enjoy it because it helps me control my calories due to having two larger meals and often a snack in between. Right now I’m trying to lose but I’ll continue during maintenance as well for the other benefits. Feel free to add me if you’d like. My diary is open to friends but it doesn’t post every time I complete it (you would just have to seek it out on your own).
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    sddehart wrote: »
    Yes I started it- it was a recommendations as I have prediabetes. I can certainly tell a difference. I am eating the same calories before, but now there is more time to burn off the insulin so I am actually losing. Go figure. Hit a massive plateau for almost a year and this seems to be promising...

I'm glad it's working for you but to be clear, you don't "burn off insulin". With IF there is evidence that your sensitivity to insulin increases. Insulin is part of a complicated series of hormonal responses that control hunger, satiety and shuttling nutrients to cells.
  • lorianncorrea
    lorianncorrea Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    @X_PrettyOdd I have been doing IF since Dec. I have lost 40lbs. I usually fast from 7pm to 12pm. I use the zero app to keep track of my fasting times. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • alliebellucci
    alliebellucci Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How many calories should you eat during intermittent fasting?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How many calories should you eat during intermittent fasting?

@alliebellucci

The same number of calories if you weren't doing IF but had the same weight loss/maintenance/gain goal.
    Why do you think it would be any different?

Have you been through your personal goals set up to get your personal calorie number?
  • twelstand
    twelstand Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    hey,

yeah i do intermittent fasting, i generally stop eating around 20:00 hours and start again at 1200. the only things i consume during this time is plain water after 20:00 and black coffee with no sugar or milk after i wake up. i find this works very well but they key to being successful for me is the food i consume during eating hours. The biggest tip however i can give you is to make sure that with your dinner in the afternoon/evening, it consists of no lower than 50 percent carbs as they are the main source of energy your body uses and it will go to your carbs first for energy use. if you lower your suggested carb intake for the day your body will find it much harder during fasting and will become very tired a lot quicker. They do however need to be the right type of carbs, these would be complex instead of refined or simple. Complex carbs consist of potato, wholegrain pastas rice and breads. complex carbs are digested by your body slowly over time, helping you to stay full and keeping hunger at bay plus giving your body energy gradually. refined carbs (white pasta and rice) have largely been stripped of anything beneficial to your body and simple carbs (milk,cookies, cakes etc) are digested by your body quickly, meaning you feel hungry quicker and can cause a sugar spike as carbs are where your sugar intake comes from. sorry for the long response, i found it easier to stick to when i understood the nutrition side a bit more.

obviously when you are attempting to lose weight your body will still ultimately need to be in a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. i have however found that intermittent fasting helps me to stop bing eating as i have a better structure.
  • Fitness_t_k
    Fitness_t_k Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey Hi. I’m also new to IF.. I started just 3 days ago and haven’t checked my weight since then. I plan to check my weight every 3 days.. @X_PrettyOdd did you start IF since you posted this thread? Let me know how it is working for you? I would love to hear more from who are new to this and will definitely motivate.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    sddehart wrote: »

You don't "burn off insulin". Do you test your blood sugar? Many people with diabetes or pre diabetes cannot do IF. In those people, fasting actually causes blood sugar to rise because the body is not producing insulin in response to food entering the digestive system. The muscles release stored glycogen which remains in the bloodstream since there is no insulin to remove it. The glucose in the bloodstream is what causes the problems.

Using myself as an example. My morning BG reading is usually around 115. If I eat a light breakfast, my pre-lunch will be around 100. If I don't eat a breakfast, my pre-lunch will typically be closer to 130. My doctor (a Certified Diabetic Educator) told me I need to eat 4-5 times a day in order to keep my BG down and I am typical of T2Dm who manage the disease by diet and exercise only. This works for me because I am a grazer anyway.

• Fitness_t_k
    Fitness_t_k Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. I started IF (24/5) 16:8 along with logging calories in the app (keeping a little deficit) and working out cardio for Atleast 40min a day.
    I did 6 days IF 16:8 & 1 day 14:10. I have only lost 1 pound so far. Any recommendations or comments as I read people loose 2-5 pounds a week on IF....