Keto to break a weight loss plateau

Options
Hello! I need some help. I've been stalled at a weight loss plateau for about 2 months. Has anyone ever broken a plateau with keto? I've never tried keto in the past because I prefer weight lifting and was concerned I wouldn't be able to do it on keto, but now that my gym is closed and I'm remote learning for the next 2.5 months (I'm a medical student), I thought now would be the time to try it. Please help. I'd really like to lose 5-10 pounds before I go back to school because then my schedule is going to get really hectic again (I still study 12 hours a day, but now that I don't have to be anywhere I always make time to exercise). Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    With two months without weight loss, I would determine that I was no longer at a deficit. If you think keto will help you reintroduce a deficit, then it may be worth a try.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    karlatytus wrote: »
    Hello! I need some help. I've been stalled at a weight loss plateau for about 2 months. Has anyone ever broken a plateau with keto? I've never tried keto in the past because I prefer weight lifting and was concerned I wouldn't be able to do it on keto, but now that my gym is closed and I'm remote learning for the next 2.5 months (I'm a medical student), I thought now would be the time to try it. Please help. I'd really like to lose 5-10 pounds before I go back to school because then my schedule is going to get really hectic again (I still study 12 hours a day, but now that I don't have to be anywhere I always make time to exercise). Thanks!

I follow a Cyclical Ketogenic Diet now and it has helped me get leaner than i ever was (currently about 165.. previously my leanest was 173). It did impair my big lifts but overall gave me better diet compliance.

I will say i do occasionally go off keto for special occasions.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    karlatytus wrote: »

Sure, keto could be one way to help you create a calorie deficit.

However, since you haven't lost weight for two months, you are eating at maintenance, not at a deficit. If your intent is to be eating at a deficit, there is something wrong with the way you are logging your calories in and/or calories out.

We might be able to spot these issues if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings