Healthy ways to get more protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• xmel123x
    xmel123x Posts: 63
    Options
    i'm curious to know why you are willing to use bars, and not shakes??

I'm just not a fan of milkshakes to be honest! I like milk and can drink it on its own but don't really like it flavoured! :)
  • xmel123x
    xmel123x Posts: 63
    Options
    Thanks everyone there are some great ideas ro get me going. Maybe I'll have a look into whey protein powder and see if I can find something I like, as I said, I have nothing against it, just not a fan of milkshake type drinks.
    Wasn't aware protein bars weren't that great so I'll bare that in mind.
    Already tried to introduce more things like eggs, milk, cheese, seeds (protein??) as I don't like nuts, and obviously meat, but all these ideas give me a lot more to work on!! :)
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    i'm curious to know why you are willing to use bars, and not shakes??

I'm just not a fan of milkshakes to be honest! I like milk and can drink it on its own but don't really like it flavoured! :)

you can buy it unflavoured
    http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/shop-by-category/protein-supplements/whey-protein/pure-whey-protein.html

or buy the whey and make your own protein bars
    http://www.proteinpow.com/
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    canned fish (usually salmon) and canned chicken is how I "supplement" my protein.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Semen.

And meat and chicken.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to up my protein quite significantly, and wondered if anyone had any tips or ideas of healthy ways to do this?
    Without adding too many calories.
    I want to avoid powders/shakes. Although I am open to the idea of protein bars (if anyone can recommend some nice ones available in the UK)

Highest protein source from foods usually are from meat and dairy products. Just have to watch for saturated fats being to high. Personally I prefer shakes for lower calorie content and not having to prep anything.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Interesting response so far. My main supplement seems to be jerky but I might get a powder soon.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Swallowing works best

Seriously...even if that protein powder sucks...Just swallow.
  • rachelboddy
    rachelboddy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to up my protein quite significantly, and wondered if anyone had any tips or ideas of healthy ways to do this?
    Without adding too many calories.
    I want to avoid powders/shakes. Although I am open to the idea of protein bars (if anyone can recommend some nice ones available in the UK)

Well, unless you're trying to stay away from animal protein, lean meat is the easiest and best way to get in high amounts of protein without high calories. Ground turkey with lots of seasoning on top of a salad mix with salsa and avocado is my top favorite meal. Other than that I love me some easy canned tuna that I can throw on a salad, or also some chicken breast with my favorite homemade stir fry. Hope this helps!
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese is a super good one cuz its not only high in protein but a long acting protein, Almonds are good,Peanut Butter is good,Salmon is really good, Tuna, Eggs,Bananas any of those are really great for upping protein. I like the shakes though, I am finding atleast one per day helps me pick up muscle quicker and recover quicker also so I end up losing weight faster in the long run with them. I am liking the Dymatize Elite XT one. That one is pretty low calories, I mix it with Lactose Free Milk,Fresh Fruit,Matcha Green Tea Powder-the green tea powder is very high in antioxidants and it also helps with weight loss too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

ETA: Any protein bar you get (or all that I have seen) have massive amounts of sugar which makes them more of a carb source than a protein source. Not bad in and of itself, but they aren't really a protein if they're mostly carbs. Most protein powders have <5g of carbs and <2g of fat. To me this makes powder the obvious choice.

I agree that most protein bars are junk, but not all of them are. Quest bars have 24g of carbs, but 20g of those are fiber. They do have 8g of fat though.

And they're much tastier IMO that protein powders (that you have to mix with some kind of milk if you want it to taste ok most of the time)... and more filling.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

ETA: Any protein bar you get (or all that I have seen) have massive amounts of sugar which makes them more of a carb source than a protein source. Not bad in and of itself, but they aren't really a protein if they're mostly carbs. Most protein powders have <5g of carbs and <2g of fat. To me this makes powder the obvious choice.

I agree that most protein bars are junk, but not all of them are. Quest bars have 24g of carbs, but 20g of those are fiber. They do have 8g of fat though.

And they're much tastier IMO that protein powders (that you have to mix with some kind of milk if you want it to taste ok most of the time)... and more filling.

Ech. I can only imagine the bloating I would get from an additional 20g of fiber. Might be good for some people, I guess, but I wonder if those who rely on Quest bars for fiber are meeting their micronutrient requirements.
    I mix my protein with almond milk, so that's an extra 30 calories. Totally doable. And I don't (and I don't recommend) using protein bars or shakes for a meal replacement, so satiety isn't really an issue.
  • DestinationFitnessChick
    Options
    quest bars
    eggs
    greek yogurt
    chicken breasts
    applegate farms roast beef or roast chicken
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    Make homemade protein bars, they will be healthier than the ones you get in a store

Or egg whites, it's like 12 calories for 1 egg white and 4 grams or protein

or you can get the carton of egg whites
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are basically pure protein. Chicken, turkey, lean beef, tuna, protein shakes.
    All yummy and all high protein.

yes, but everytime you throw a yolk away, a fairy dies =D

:smokin:
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Semen.

And meat and chicken.

Someone in another forum said Semen is 5 calories But semen portions vary from the first portion to the last (at one setting that is) so how do you know?:bigsmile: