Is it possible for me to become super fit?

Options
13»

Replies

• Zimm7
    Zimm7 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    mjhurry wrote: »
    Hi! I've been overweight/obese since I was 3 years old. I've had many unsuccessful attempts to lose weight, however I've started again and have lost almost 5kg :) I am currently 85.5kg, my final goal weight is 55kg. My question is, is it possible for me to become super fit? Is it possible for me to develop visible abs, and an obviously fit, strong physique? I've blamed my weight issues on my genetics and struggled to get fit for a long time (most of my life). I want to believe it's possible for me, as this would be very motivating but I have some doubts. Do I have to be genetically predisposed/fit since a young age to become super fit? PS. I'm aware that this would take time, I'm just trying to keep my expectations realistic. I hope this makes sense!

It is possible if you commit to it...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    mjhurry wrote: »
    Hi! I've been overweight/obese since I was 3 years old. I've had many unsuccessful attempts to lose weight, however I've started again and have lost almost 5kg :) I am currently 85.5kg, my final goal weight is 55kg. My question is, is it possible for me to become super fit? Is it possible for me to develop visible abs, and an obviously fit, strong physique? I've blamed my weight issues on my genetics and struggled to get fit for a long time (most of my life). I want to believe it's possible for me, as this would be very motivating but I have some doubts. Do I have to be genetically predisposed/fit since a young age to become super fit? PS. I'm aware that this would take time, I'm just trying to keep my expectations realistic. I hope this makes sense!

I would personally focus on fitness goals, rather than the goal of developing visible abs.

For example, I only swim in a pond and each year have to work back up to it. I start with a 15 minute swim and by the end of the summer am back up to the hour swim.

"Happily fit" for me would be being able to do the yoga routine I did when I was a full time yoga teacher. "Super fit" would be being able to do Ashtanga yoga.

As you can see, these are very personal, but I do suggest setting and working towards a mix of strength training and cardio goals.