lets talk corona...

12Sarah2015
12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
What does your life look lately especially for exercise? Fortunately in Australia we have always been able to exercise outside, so I am doing so but missed all that incidental exercise with schools, shops, church, library, friends houses etc. So I have put on weight. but really ive been putting on weight since november ever since ive been unhappy with work -2 trouser sizes since last year. i guess this season has just highlighted I can do something to look after myself and do it for free.

What is your goal plan? Mine is to track every meal, buy a battery or new food scale, and to eat more vegetarian-completely separate food to the rest of the family.

Replies

• Portionled
    Portionled Posts: 9 Member
    UK here. I go out walking most days. Trying to keep increasing the duration.

At the beginning of the "lockdown" here I started eating and drinking everything in sight. Put on about ten pounds.

Eventually decided enough was enough.

I allow myself a maximum of three alcoholic drinks one evening a week. and have stopped eating chocolate, biscuits, cake etc.

Log all the food and ensure I am in a calorie deficit.

This time has given me the opportunity to take control and work towards being a lot healthier.

I stopped eating all meat towards the end of last year, was such an infrequent part of my diet anyway.

Best of luck for your plans.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Also in the UK.

I live a mile away from a park and have been running there.

Once there, I hoist my gymnastic rings around a tree and do my bodyweight routine on them.

I have also been doing a lot of bodyweight circuit training as I don’t have any equipment.
  • manyasin
    manyasin Posts: 20 Member
    Also from the UK! I've been going for walks, luckily my local area is very quiet so I don't see many people. I used to be exercising around 5 times a week before lockdown, I'd do weights at the gym, cardio classes and swimming. It felt like a total shock to the body to suddenly drop to a small walk every so often. Somehow I haven't gained weight but when I tried changing walks to C25K runs a few weeks ago my ankles were very sore, I think the lack of exercise has weakened them. I managed to order a mini bike from Argos and a kettlebell (I've been looking daily for weeks, they were always sold out!), so I've really started to put the effort in to exercising, particularly low impact workouts to give my ankles a chance to recover and get stronger again. I'm also doing workout videos from YouTube. I started tweaking my diet two weeks ago and have lost 3.5lbs, so feeling happy about that. Now it's just a matter of keeping up the motivation for the foreseeable future!
  • TexasAggie1280
    TexasAggie1280 Posts: 31 Member
    I live in an apartment complex that has a private gym area, so I fortunately have been able to continue as normal. I live in Texas as well and the regular gyms will be opening back up a week from today. Other than that, I bought a TRX strap which allows you to do a lot of different exercises.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I road cycle our mountain bike most day, just like I did before any of this and I actually have more time to get in my rides and get in longer ones since I no longer have a 2 hour commute working from home. Also taking family walks most evenings. We also opened up the pool, so I've been chasing the kids around and getting a bit more exercise there. All in all I'm more active right now than when I was going to the office 5x per week. I need to drop about 10 Lbs, but that is my normal winter weight...it's been slow to come off namely because I've been snacky in the evening. I am accustomed to eating dinner around 8 or 8:30 in the evening when normally working in the office, but we've been eating around 5:30 or 6 since my wife and I are both home working so I find myself being more snacky later in the evening when we're watching t.v. when I'd normally be eating my dinner.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    In South Australia.

Our restrictions here were not as tight as some other places, including other states of Australia as our case load was low.

There were never any limits on individual outdoor excercise and the dog park remained open.

So Ive been walking to work same as usual and doing laps of dog park same as usual and my job has continued which is a fair bit on my feet, so incidental increase of NEAT.

Sports have closed though and my walking group is in recession and dog obedience classes have stopped - but not a huge impact on me other than socially

non excercise related but my social get togethers have stopped which has probably helped me not put on weight, not eating out as much nor drinking alcohol which I generally only do on social occasions or when watching football, which isnt on atm

• valkyriemfp
    valkyriemfp Posts: 6 Member
    Ever since quarantine has started I've made barely any changes to my diet, always loved to bake and have about the same amount of time to do so as I did before with working from home and taking care of a kid.

If anything, it's easier now that I'm not volunteering in a cafeteria that gives me free nachos.

But my exercise on the other hand...I'm doing yoga everyday, dance, playing with the kid outside sort of thing when I can, but there's not as much weight lifting or running (I don't leave my house unless I literally have to), or much of a schedule at all, and any muscles I might have had are definitely feeling a bit neglected.

Think this one's on me, gotta get back into crossfit.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    U.S. in Chicago. We have been Stay at home since Mid March. I was in a 3 month slump with back issues, so I was already in a funk and up a few pounds. I just looked at my workouts for Oct and November - wow, I was active. I was on and off my bike 5 times a day (I had a part time job as a pet sitter, plus my real job) and at the gym at least 4 days a week. December 1st I weighed 176, today I'm 195. Ugh!!!

Mid March til 3 days ago, I have been so sedentary, I walk my roommate's dog once a day. We have been doing an online workout a few days a week, but I can't do a lot of jumping so my heart rate isn't elevated much and it's not a great workout. Other than that, it's sitting. And sitting more.

But... here's my new routine, since Saturday. A daily walk or bike ride of at least 30 minutes in addition to the online workout of 30-45 minutes. I've also started logging my food again, and committing to more vegetables and fiber, less Oreo cookies and other baked goods. Also, drinking only 2 nights a week. I don't drink a ton (2 or 3 beers at most), but we know what alcohol does to our will power. And today I installed a pedometer on my phone.

Good luck everyone! We will get through this. I believe our lives will be changed dramatically and we will need to find a new normal. I hope my gym survives - it's a block from my house and I love it there.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Oklahoma
    My life looks ok. I’ve probably gained 2 pounds.
    My hair looks like Heck!
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    I setup exercise equipment at home, did a few workouts, then got injured. That was a few weeks ago, so now I am focused on cutting calories and walking. I should be able to hit my goals that way.

In the past it was always using cardio equipment at the gym, which is fairly safe from injury. But, I wasn't ready for what I did and got hit with a 4 week mid back injury. Some combination of exercise bands, jumping rope, improper form, and not working up to prepare for moderate intensity seemed to cause the injury.
  • andimickey
    andimickey Posts: 25 Member
    I'm walking a ton. Joined a 10,000 steps a day challenge with neighborhood friends and that has helped to keep me motivated. Im in California, and the first 6 weeks I think i was in shock/fear. Drinking and eating too much. I'm back on board here - sheltering in place is bad enough - I don't need to be sheltering in obesity as well! I'm lucky there are tons of trails here - and trying to get out 2-3 times a day in-between sedentary working at home. I used to go to cardio classes, swim, yoga and stage homes - all of which kept me physical. Huge shock to the system. Glad to hear what others are doing. Stay healthy & strong!
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    thanks guys. a few months later... Ive been great with exercise but not foods. Doctor has put me on a low fat diet so Im reducing butter, sunflower oil, cheese and milk. plus more vegetarian foods. i ended up eating the same as the family, but I will cook my own meals now and just expect them to eat it.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Michigan here. I am sticking to 10K steps/day plan. Have been working for the whole of the Covid season and have lost a couple of pounds. Not a lot of free time available but I do miss swimming at my gym. There is no food available at work and am only bringing in breakfast and skipping lunch, trying to manage with one less meal a day seems to be helping me. Would like to add in some resistance training, have everything I need at home but the motivation!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,023 Member
    Another Michigan. My rowing club is closed for multi-person boat rowing (only one person in the boathouse at a time, and it takes 2 people to carry a two-person rowing shell), and my Y (where I usually take spin classes) is still closed.

I'm not working out much, especially recently. I don't enjoy weight training, so I'm usually on and off over the rowing off season, and the rowing machine gets old by the end of Winter. I've done some intentional walks (4mi/3.5mph+, typically), plus some lifting and machine rowing, but mostly lazier than normal lately, to my discredit.

Weight is fine, though. I'm in maintenance, after losing a few years back from obese to here, but have been trying to lose a few vanity pounds ultra slowly since about last October. Shelter at home orders have greatly reduced restaurant and brewpub temptations, and I'm very clear at this point about my calorie needs with/without exercise, so that's been going easier in current circumstances. I've lost about 10 pounds since October, about 6-7 of that since Michigan shut down in March.

I'm not a goal-driven person, more hedonically driven at this point, realistically. Consequently, I don't really have a plan, except to get back to on-water rowing when I can, do other things (machine row, lift, walk, bike) when I can talk myself into it, and keep chipping away at the vanity pounds for another 5 or so, maybe. (I've been vegetarian so long I don't even think about it much (45 years), and calorie counting for what will be 5 years in July).
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    I've actually found that reduced ability to go to the shops (at least, reduced enthusiasm!) has meant I've bought less crap! Lost a bit of weight, moving more. Apparently I didn't need to go to the gym to do that. :)