Low carb, corona, large family

Options
I am thinking of starting low carb. My question is how do I do it reasonably priced with a large family? And I’m not the most imaginative cook. So I’m a little worried I’ll get bored

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I don’t cook any differently for my family now as I did when I was not low carb. Aside from the above mentioned casseroles. Those I will make myself something seperate and have lunch leftovers for the week. Just plan meals including enough protein for everyone, enough veggies and greens for everyone with extra for you, enough carbs and sides for your fam and let everyone dish up what they are eating. If yours needs more green veg, add in some more roasted broccoli, more fat, maybe you drizzle a bit more butter or cheese sauce over your veg or an oil based dressing over your salad. I have never found a good replacement for bread. I am gluten free and even those are just horrible, never mind the low carb ones. Occasionally I will make some “fat head” style biscuits to go with my meal. Soups, stews, and many casseroles can be made low carb without many changes. Pinterest has tons of recipes if you need ideas.

I am lucky in that we raise multiple kinds of meat in my back yard and I grow my own garden, so a lot of our food is right here and our protein sources are plentiful. Most of the time nobody notices I am eating differently from them at all.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of starting low carb. My question is how do I do it reasonably priced with a large family? And I’m not the most imaginative cook. So I’m a little worried I’ll get bored

How are you defining "low carb"? For example, what will your carb % target be?

I found it easy to reduce carbs by simply having smaller portions of foods like pasta and rice, and larger portions of meat and non-starchy veggies.

If you are keeping costs low by eating lots of foods like rice and beans, then perhaps low carb isn't a good fit. But good news! Low carb is not necessary to lose weight. I've lived three places where rice and beans were staples, and the vast, vast majority of us were not overweight. (We did have active lifestyles.)