andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
So I'm 52 been overweight 25 years
Bmi 30-40 currently 36
Always done jogging and cycling
I can't run anymore due to arthritis.

Over the years I've varied from 180-245lbs
Currently 241
Jan 2019 189

I know loads about nutrition, how the body works, how food works yet for some reason I abuse myself and I'm fat.
I have done lighter life to get to 180
I've used ketosis to get to 180
But I still come back up, so it's my eating habits, no matter what I know I don't implement my knowledge.

What can I do ?
Lighter life, ketosis, hypnotherapy or gastric band ?
Or is there another way to break my mentality?

Replies

• bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Wow, the post above me hit the nail on the head.

Im 58. And in my 20s and 30s I could drop 50 lbs in 3 months. And gain 60 in the same amount of time because I wanted real food and drink..

In my 40s I took the small change route. Packed my lunches. Walked a few more steps each day. Still ate "unhealthy" food, but less and less. Over several years the small changes became bigger changes and I maintained a 90 lb loss for several years. I embraced vegetables and concentrated on upping my fiber.

I hit 50 and I wasn't so diligent about my habits. A few pounds came and went.

It's all in the consistency. If you backslide, make an immediate U turn.

Start small with something, anything and do it consistently.

Learn to cook the foods you love just a bit more healthy and eat less.

Good luck!

• MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Look up Midlife Crisis Fitness in the community groups section. There is a growing group of guys doing this together.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,942 Member
    It's easy to lose weight.

The hard bit is keeping it off.

I've seen many people in my life lose a lot of weight and gain it back.

I'm not sure what the answer is for YOU, but I'd say start a daily journal. Write about the reasons why you keep over-eating. For me it was a way to deal with discomfort. Food calmed me down and kept my hands and mind busy when I was trying to avoid something or was upset about something. Also, I just wasn't eating good varied nutrition. "Embracing vegetables" like bebeisfit said is something I also did. I ditched the treat foods...they are now relegated to "every once in a while" instead of daily.

There's a lot to unwind. Start writing about it.

:flowerforyou:
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    6tfz5dr9qm9e.jpg
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Thank you all ok f you
    It seems even though I didn't know it was missing I always find my mojo here.

Thanks guys n girls your words have helped me.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    A bit of harsh love today. Boot camp so to speak.

But if you want it and you want it to be your new normal, only you can do it. A coach or accountability buddy will only help if you want it.