Tea/coffee calorie difference?

Anyone know why such a difference in calorie count on the search list for coffee with semi skimmed milk and tea with semi Skimmed milk?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    I would expect the difference between plain tea and plain coffee to be next to nothing.

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    The entries are input by users, so the calories might be different based on their guessing, or using different amounts, or the milk having different calorie totals.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Anyone know why such a difference in calorie count on the search list for coffee with semi skimmed milk and tea with semi Skimmed milk?

The calories in tea and coffee themselves are negligible. The difference is in whatever you add to them (more often than not, people add a LOT more fat and sugar in the form of milk/cream/sugar/creamers to coffee than they tend to for tea). Just measure how much milk you add to either for the comparison.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member

Don't use those entries. Enter the tea, coffee, and milk separately.

Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

The USDA recently changed the platform for their database and it is unfortunately a little more difficult to use. I uncheck everything but SR Legacy - that seems to be what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

Don't use entries like those...those are just some users concoction and you have no idea how much milk or whatever they put into their concoction. log your tea or coffee and the amount of milk you use separately. The difference in calories between tea and milk are negligible. Tea has about 3 calories per 1 cup (8 fl oz)...coffee has about 2 for the same.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    I think above is meant to say "the difference in calories between tea and coffee is negligible" ( as I also said in my previous post)

not the difference between tea and milk.

• MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    I would suggest measuring the milk for accuracy.