Carb and sodium tracking

Options
Potzy54
Potzy54 Posts: 1 Member
Hello all
I need to track sodium 2000 daily and 30 carbs per meal. I am having a difficult time succeeding.I don't do too bad on carbs but I am having a difficult time managing sodium. Any help out there?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you having trouble tracking it or having trouble meeting the goal?

If you look at your diary, you should be able to identify the higher sodium foods you're eating and limit your serving sizes of those foods. Generally speaking, many pre-prepared foods are higher in sodium and less prepared foods tend to be lower. If you're frequently eating things like deli meats, canned soups, frozen meals, and crackers, those are the things you'll want to look at. Condiments can also have a lot.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Just a question: it sounds like you're trying to do some form of keto. To feel good with keto one should eat more salt, which you're not doing either. Is there a health reason for this or is it something you read somewhere?
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have to manage sodium as per doctor and HBP. I ignore sodium content that is naturally occurring, I don't add salt to anything, use Mrs. Dash (many flavors), lots of spices/herbs and stopped using anything that is pre-made. I buy a few canned veg that are labeled 'no salt added'. I read labels and you probably should too. I buy fresh produce, use vinegar and olive oil for salad dressing too. I do lots more but that's the short list. You'll have to start cooking and not from a box/can/package.

I have my sodium set at 1500 on MFP but seldom get that much unless I have a sodium cheat day. It's tough and it's a huge change in eating lifestyle, I've been doing it for 15 mos. now and will have to forever so it is doable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Potzy54 wrote: »
    Hello all
    I need to track sodium 2000 daily and 30 carbs per meal. I am having a difficult time succeeding.I don't do too bad on carbs but I am having a difficult time managing sodium. Any help out there?

If you're doing keto...which is what it sounds like from the 30g carbs, you're going to need more sodium, not less as keto causes electrolyte imbalances early on from large drops in water weight. This causes what is known as keto flu.

I do not recommend doing keto on a low sodium diet...they don't play well together. On the other hand, if it is more important to watch your sodium for healthy reasons you just need to look in your diary and eat less of those things that are higher in sodium. Focus on primarily whole food sources and minimally processed foods that are low sodium. If you need to watch sodium for health reasons, I would not recommend also doing a keto diet at the same time.