Scared to gain weight, I don’t want to get fat but don’t know how many calories I should eat.

I’m a male 20 years old 5 foot 10 inches tall 150 pounds. My activity is 15000 steps a day or more. On average I ate around 2000 calories, but that was for losing weight. My family said I shouldn’t loose anymore and my friends all comment how I look “really skinny” I don’t see it that way but I just want to maintain where I am at. Any suggestions on how much I should be eating?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    edited May 2020
    How much were you eating and losing during the:

past 2 weeks
    past 4 weeks
    past 6 weeks
    the four week period starting 2 weeks ago and ending 6 weeks ago
    Were these time periods showing "normal" losses for you or were you doing something different?

Alternatively: set MFP to very active. Eat at least that number of Calories. Evaluate your weight trend as it changes starting 1+ week after the initial increase.

<On average I have to eat MORE than "very active calories" to maintain my weight when my activity is at 15,000 steps>
  • Jmoney711
    Jmoney711 Posts: 42 Member
    Based on MFP when I set my goal to maintaining weight at 150 pounds with a “very active” setting it says I should consume 3000 calories.

Is that normal? It’s hard to consider myself very active. Is 15000 steps a day considered very active even if it’s low intensity?

Also for me weight trend the past few weeks I lost about 1 pound a week.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    If you lost an average of 1 lb per week then you would need to add 500 calories a day to maintain. Try doing that for a few weeks and see if your weight stabilizes, then make adjustments up or down as needed.
  • Jmoney711
    Jmoney711 Posts: 42 Member
    Wow I really appreciate that response, and I will do so and eat at 3000 calories and continue my energy output while tracking for a couple weeks and see how it goes.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Adjust and review regularly!